Chapter Ten - Damage Library

Aliah is standing across from me. She's looking down at the floor. The white marble is covered with tiny flecks of gold that were blasted off the furniture. The specks sparkle and shine under the lights.

"Good thing the power is still running," I say. "Hahaha?"

"Really, Naia?" Mom says. "Read the room."

Uncle finally closed his mouth. I bet he's clenching his teeth because the veins in his neck are bulging over his red collared shirt. I open my mouth to say something and then shut it. I wonder what this is all going to cost me.

"I'll clean up," I say, wringing out my hair. "I'll do it all by myself. You won't know that a drop of water was spilled in here."

"There was more than a drop of water," Mom says. "What you let go would have watered several fields for a week."

"Oh," I say. "I hope it didn't hurt anyone."

Uncle takes a deep breath and lets it out in one quick huff.

"Naia," he says, putting his hands over his eyes. "If anyone got hurt, it wasn't because of the water, it was because of you. You are the one who sent the torrent racing through my house. MY house."

Sebastian shakes water from his hands and then crosses his arms.

"I had so much hope for you, dear niece," he says quietly. "Many, many plans. You've dashed them all. Dashed them all."

"I think I should leave?" Aliah says. "This seems like family stuff."

"Maybe that's for the best," Mom says, nodding.

"She is family," Sebastian snaps.

Aliah and Mom jump back.

"You are family," Sebastian says in a softer tone. "You are my daughter."

He takes a turn around the foyer, avoiding a couple of little puddles pooling on the floor.

"Family is of the utmost importance to me," Sebastian says while pacing. "But both of you used your skills and there's no way to hide that fact. With Weathermas being only a few days away, I need my family intact for the holidays. However, you'll both have to be punished, publicly. We cannot have Newtopians using their skills willy-nilly. It is both unsafe and unpredictable. Things spiral out of control and that's how anarchy sprouts."

Sebastian stops in front of Mom.

"I will always have control," he says, staring at his sister. "I am in control."

Mom squares her shoulders and lifts her chin before saluting the emperor.

"Sir!"

"Naia," Sebastian says. "I would like to speak to you first. Let's go."

My wet clothing clings to me and it turns clammy and cold, kind of like when I was put in the Bowels. I do not want to go back there. That's when I realize I don't have to pee anymore but my stomach starts boiling, about to cook up some diarrhea. I do not want to let my innards while I'm in the Bowels.

"Aliah," Sebastian says. "You can wait with the Lieutenant-General in her chambers. I'll call for you."

Aliah nods.

"Thanks," I whisper to her when I walk by. She won't meet my eyes.

When I see her next, I will thank her properly. I will talk to her and ask about her life. I will make an effort to get to know her now instead of who I remembered her to be. I will be nice to her mother, too. I will. I promise.