Chapter 8. "By the Fourth Second."

I'm back!

I'm truly starting to think I need to be under tremendous stress if I am to post regularly. Who would have thought. Lol.

So, the plot is finally developing. I want to sit down and plan this story to the detail but I like how it's going so far and I hope you too!

Please drop a fav, follow or review! I would really appreciate it!

Disclaimer: This is a fanfic.

Chapter 8. "Four Seconds."

She was restless but then again, restlessness had been her constant companion since she became a General to the Calormene Army.

Restlessness, sometime down the road, had become her reassurance, and her oldest friend. How could she fear it, when she had learned how to work alongside it? More than that, how could she do anything but welcome it with open arms?

And so, for many years now, Katia had known exactly what to do when her oldest friend showed up.

She processed that feeling. She analyzed its sources. She came to the other side a much more readied woman.

That night though, as she processed the information she had received, she couldn't quite rest her fleeting thoughts. It was as if, the more the situation dawned on her, the more her thoughts escaped, almost as if her subconscious was running a race with her awakened mind.

A race she was losing miserably.

At last, after the umpteenth turn around the room, Katia sighed and grabbed her cloak, throwing a longing glance at her sword before exiting her chambers under the cover of darkness.

The Ancient Orchard was reserved for the Royal Family and their closest friends. It was a place that had been there even before Tashbaan was first built so even though its size had shrunk ever since the tall brick walls were first erected, it had never lost its magical, almost terrifying factor. It was a sacred place, for it was believed that in there, one was closest to the Gods.

It was a place where no weapons were allowed, much to her annoyance.

Katia slowly lowered her hood as she looked around, rendered into reverent astonishment by the sight. It wasn't the first time she had been there, but it always seemed so particularly unique at night. It almost seemed as if that space was no longer meant for the living, but for the ghosts that had once walked the halls of Tashbaan.

Katia walked around, eventually choosing to sit by a Weeping Willow. Its leaves, golden during the day, gray during the night, gracefully fell until they graced the ground, and danced gently, completely under the control of the nocturnal breeze.

Katia sat with her back leaning against the trunk of the Weeping Willow. She closed her eyes and relaxed her shoulders as she took a deep, calming breath.

After a moment, she opened her eyes slowly, almost reluctantly.

Then, she screamed.

"Geon!" She whispered furiously once she managed to get a hold of herself. She rushedly left the comfort of her impromptu hiding place, realizing with relief that no one was around to hear her. "I would actually kill you if I wasn't sure I would be hanged for it!"

Geon rolled his eyes. His raven hair, usually so carefully brushed, had been left in a disarray. "As if. You would probably be able to kill them all before they got to you."

Katia cocked her head, her eyes pensive as she pondered that. Then, she shrugged. "You are probably right."

"Of course I am," Geon scoffed, utterly offended to have been questioned. Then, he buried his hands in the pockets of his silk pajamas. "What are you doing here?"