BONUS CHAPTER: ONE YEAR OF HEAVEN AND HELL (7)

One year

JACKSON

"Which one of them do you think will talk first?" I asked Ellie one day when the twins were almost a year old. I've heard that some fast learners could talk at one year old. Jake seemed like he could walk on his own when he reached one year old, since he's been hanging on to any surface that he could reach to help him walk. He only needed to be brave to let go of his hold and then he could really walk on his own. While Jane.. It might take awhile since she was afraid. Last time when she tried the push walker, she pushed it too hard and ended up falling face first. She cried so hard and refused to use the push walker the next day. At least now she was brave enough to hold the furniture and started to copy Jake. Both kids were eager to copy Ellie or their nannies whenever they taught them to talk. I've heard Ellie taught them the vowel alphabet. I've heard her saying 'Aaa—.' numerous times in the past month. They said that babies would likely to say vowel first and the first vowel that was easy to say was 'A'. I've heard the nannies taught them to say 'Daddy' and 'Mommy' as well. Well, not the complete word, but like 'Daa—-daa—" and "Maaa—Maaaa". Both kids babbled a lot, but so far only meaningless words.

"I don't know," Ellie frowned. "Both kids look attentive when we teach them how to talk and both copy me or their nannies when we teach them words like 'mommy' and 'daddy', so I don't know who's going to talk first."

"Okay then," I lowered myself to become eye level with the twins and put on my serious face. "Say 'daddy' first, okay? Repeat after me... Daaaa—-dddyyy," I exaggerated my articulation, mimicking Ellie, but somehow the twins thought I was joking or something that they ended up laughing at me. I tried to do it again but the twins were still laughing at me so I gave up at last.

ELLIE

"Do you guys have to bet over everything?" I groaned when I learnt that the boys were betting over the twins. They were betting which one of them would speak first, Jake or Jane. Both Jinyoung and Mark picked Jane, while Jaebeom decided not to join the bet. He reasoned he had lost too many bets so he should stop now. The maknaes hoped that Jake could beat Jane, but they were doubtful. I knew that Jackson himself hoped that Jake could speak first, but he had a gut feeling that Jane would win.

Jackson shrugged, "Why not? It's just for fun. By the way, we didn't just bet on who's going to talk first. We also bet which word that the twins will say first, whether it's mommy or daddy," he added.

"Really?" I raised an eyebrow at him. He knew damn well that last time I told him that most kids managed to say 'daddy' first rather than 'mommy'.

He grinned, "Don't worry, some of the boys rooted for you.. Youngjae, Jinyoung, Jaebeom hyung and Yugyeom bet that they will say 'mommy' first, so don't worry.. You still have some supporters."

The twins were just finished eating when Jackson came home. His feet tripped over the toys that were lying around the house and naturally he cursed. "Damn!"

"Language!" I warned him, pointing to the twins that were still playing in the living room.

"Oops, sorry," he immediately apologized. "Pretend you don't hear it kiddos," he talked to the twins as if they understood it.

I've warned him to watch his language around the twins. I knew he and the boys had loose tongue, but still.. The twins were still little so I didn't want them to hear bad words so early in their life. However, my warning seemed to come back empty.

JACKSON

Yoojin asked Ellie for a favour. One of Ellie's old patient needed another surgery and he refused to be treated by other doctor but Ellie. That was why we were here again, back in Korea just a week before the twins turned to one. I didn't mind going back to Korea for 5 days. After all, the boys were excited to see the twins again. As usual, we decided not to take the nannies with us so we could bond with the twins better as Ellie wouldn't be staying at the hospital for long aside from tending his old patient.