Moving Out

Charmy looks like he does in the cover, just without the hearts on his shoes.
Charmy's Pov

Today was the day. I can't lie; I was really nervous. See, pretty much my whole life, I've been living with Vector and Espio as part of Team Chaotix. It's been great and all, but I've grown up a lot since then, I am 24 now after all. Today was the day I was going to tell them that I didn't want to be in the detective business anymore. I hope they'll take it well.

I  got out of bed and put on my usual clothes; a dark grey jacket with black cuffs over a white shirt with black pants, black and white shoes, and dark gloves. Once I was dressed, I went downstairs and found my teammates eating breakfast, talking about our newest client. I made myself a bowl of cereal and joined in their conversation. I figured that I would tell them at the end of the day, since we should be done with this case by then.

The case went how you would expect it to; solve it and get paid. I had second thoughts about telling them now, since Vector was already in a bad mood because the client only paid half of what they owed us. No, I have to do this today, or I'll just keep putting it off. "Hey guys, can I talk to you about something?" I asked, thankfully sounding a lot less nervous than I actually felt.

"Sure, Charmy. What's up?" Espio asked. Out of the two of them, he knew me the best. I got along with both of them, of course, but there was always this special bond between me and him. I can't really explain it, but it certainly isn't going to make this any easier. They both sat down on the couch and I took a deep breath to calm my nerves before telling them what was on my mind.

"Well, first of all, I need to say that I really appreciate everything you guys have done for me," I started. "Heck, the jobs we've been on have been some of the best times of my life. But, I can't keep doing this. The detective business, it's just not for me. It's your thing, and that's great, but it's not mine."

I gave them a moment to process what I just told them. They both looked pretty surprised, which I completely understood. After what felt like an eternity of silence, Espio finally spoke up. "If you don't mind my asking, what exactly do you plan on doing for a living?" he asked.

This was what had me really worried. I could feel the confidence in my voice lessening, though it was barely noticeable. "I was hoping to make it in the music business," I told them. I always had a thing for music. When I was a kid, I was always banging on this big drum and as I got older, I often found myself daydreaming about playing on stage for huge crowds of people. Espio helped me learn how to play guitar, since he had taught himself and even gave me his old guitar for my birthday a few years back.

It looked like Espio was about to say something when Vector finally spoke up. "How good are you?" He asked me. I was pretty confused and just started stuttering. He repeated his question for me, only this time sounding much more firm. I told him that I thought I was pretty good. "In that business, pretty good ain't enough, kid. You got to be amazing, perfect even. How many songs have you wrote?"

The confidence in my voice was practically gone. "W-Well none, b-"

"How many cases have you solved?"

"Dozens, bu-"

"See? Why fix what isn't broke?"

"It's not what I want to do!"

"Then quit!"

"Fine! I quit!"

"Fine! If you're out of the team business, then you're out of the team!"

I couldn't believe he actually said that to me. I ran upstairs and locked myself in my room, hoping to forget how bad this went. I heard a knock on my door but I just told whoever it was to go away. I guess I must have fallen asleep, since I woke up in the middle of the night. I sat there, thinking about what to do before an idea came to me. I didn't really like it, but I didn't see any other options.

I started packing up my stuff, doing my best not to make too much noise. I didn't have that much, so beyond my phone, the clothes I was wearing, and my guitar, I was able to make it all fit in one backpack and one duffel bag. While I was packing I did find one thing that made me smile; my old helmet. I shoved it in my bag, along with a letter I found by more door, probably from Espio.

I went downstairs and grabbed some paper and a pen. I wrote a note explaining where I was going for Espio and, I guess, Vector. Even if he didn't support my dream, they both had the right to know what I was doing. I put it right on the fridge where they wouldn't miss it, then left the house as quietly as I could.

I walked a couple blocks before coming to a bus stop. A bus arrived soon after and I got on. Truth be told, I'm not entirely sure where I'm gonna go, but I have a plan and that should be enough to get me somewhere. I feel bad for leaving like this, but I can't stay and let the chance to live my dream pass me by. This may be the only shot I have and I'm gonna take it.