12: Helping Each Other

..

Lian scrolled through the file that his assistant sent him, sitting on his bed since he wasn't able to purchase an office desk for his room.

"A minute for two hours... haha..." He said to himself as he let out a chuckle.

He couldn't help but laugh at Kuea's reaction a while back. Even he couldn't believe those conditions. Though Lian felt bad for lying to him, the thought of Kuea cursing him was just too much. It was cute the first time but now, Kuea's cursing made Lian's patience snap.

"What?" Lian asked after answering a call on his phone.

"When the hell are you coming back? We were able to catch more spies but they died before we could interrogate them." North complained on the other line.

North, a 200 year-old incubus, is Lian's business partner that's currently overseas. North was actually his grandfather's friend back in the realm. Being a total fanatic for Mr. Wang, North followed him and ended up establishing his own business. Currently, he's managing the manufacturing company for their new product but they've been bothered by some strange individuals. And all of this began after Lian left.

Spies kept coming to the factory, wanting to know more about their new product making North work overtime everytime they catch one.

"They died? Any clues on who sent them?" Lian asked.

"Nope, not a track. But the killing method was weird. The boys said that their mouths glowed as soon as they got caught before dying. I checked the insides of their mouth and saw signs, more like a ritual circle. Autopsy also showed that their organs were severely burned, like close to coal burned. What's weird is their skin was undamaged. Like they were burned from the inside." North informed him.

"Witches?" Lian guessed, since ritual circles and the way they were executed showed signs often used by witches.

"Probably. But witches won't be this careless. Someone that knows witchcraft might've been behind this." North answered before letting out a sigh.

"I'll make time after the engagement ceremony so stop sighing like you're gonna die." Lian joked with a chuckle.

"Well I still can't believe that he hasn't visited me yet. Is that man too busy that he couldn't even---wait... Engagement!? You're getting engaged!?" North exclaimed as he realized what Lian said.

"Yes and you're not invited. Also, I'll tell grandfather that you miss him so he'll make time to visit you. He's probably busy with the cure so bear with everything for now." Lian promised as he heard a giggle on the other line.

Only a few demons within the company is aware that Mr. Wang is alive and one the very few is North.

"Ooh... you sly little boy. I didn't know you had it in you. You actually got Kuea under your hand hahaha. Okay, just promise me you'll tell your gramps to come visit me. Bye~" North happily said before ending the call.

Indeed, North is Mr. Wang's number 1 fan. He loves the man. However, North knows he can never have the man of his dreams. Working for him and his family was better than not being able to see him forever.

Lian, tired and overwhelmed with everything that's been happening, leaned on the headboard and let out a sigh after closing his eyes. This week has been truly hectic. Aside from managing the company overseas while at home, he also had to make a status report on the new branches. Not to mention all the charity work and investment programs he's handling. If not being a demon himself, he might've quit his rights of being the heir because of work overload.

If he didn't know better, it felt like Aelin was getting her revenge by dumping a whole load of one year's worth of work on him. However, he's also seen how Aelin's handling the internal affairs, recruitment projects, and conferences as the company representative. Indeed, they almost had the same workload because they haven't found suitable employees to fill the vacancies yet. Unfortunately, those positions were held by old and talented demons who decided to leave all together after the announcement of Mr. Wang's supposed death.