Chapter 11

They give themselves one day to prepare for the departure. During that day, Childe once again called for a meeting with his lieutenants, where he explained the situation to them and delegated their tasks. When he was met with the expected confused expressions, he simply called the meeting off. To think that even his lieutenants were growing soft. 

Instead, he spent the time on mapping out the surrounding lands and marking spots on the territory where Fatui supervision was necessary. Later, with Diluc's help, they split the camp into small teams of three to four agents, each one with a lieutenant present in their midst. Childe worked out the strategical aspects and combinations of what fighter to place where, whereas Diluc ensured that all the agents within a group could, at the very least, tolerate one another. 

Just before dinner, it dawned on him what all of these preparations meant. They were leaving, and they might as well be leaving for good. They would not be returning to this training camp. By the time they were done with the Tsaritsa and whatever it was that she wanted, the training camp wouldn't even exist anymore. Instead, they would all be split up, stationed separately with nothing but snow and ice between them. That... saddened him. Impossibly so. Because in the time that he'd spent here, he grew to think of the place as his home, and the people as his friends. Because he'd gotten a taste of this peaceful life, and now, he couldn't imagine anything else. 

His mind flashed to the countless sparring sessions they'd had, and the loud evenings spent around the campfires, and the constant chatter. He would miss this place. He would miss them.

Childe made the announcement right after they'd finished eating. He lifted his fork, gently tapping it against his glass to make a loud clinking sound. As one, the agents all turned to face him, their eyes wide in expectation and conversations disappearing in seconds. (He... forgot just how much authority Childe actually had, what with the whole thing where Childe treated him as a brother. The reminder was a terrifying one.)

"It is with great sadness that I announce this day to be the last of our training camp," Childe stated once everything had settled down. 

There was the expected outburst from everyone as they voiced their surprise, the shouts and yelps of concern over the sudden change of plans. Then, just as quickly as the noise arose, it disappeared again, replaced by dead silence.

"Alberich and I have both been called by Her Imperial Majesty, the Tsaritsa, for an unknown period of time. As such, there is no one of high enough status left to continue running this camp," he said, his tone calm. Professional. As if he didn't care about anyone in the camp except for himself.

"If I may add," Diluc butted in, because he knew for a fact that Childe cared about his agents even if he didn't have the balls to admit it, "I also believe that we have taught you everything we could. There is no further way for you to improve under our guidance. We have decided that the only way for you to improve now is through experience, and we trust you to put the lessons we have taught you to good use."

Childe stared at him like he had grown to heads. "...Anyway. Alberich and I will be departing tomorrow afternoon, whereas each of you have been split into individual groups to perform crucial missions necessary for maintaining power within the Fatui. The chart will be available outside of my tent later in the evening. I expect each and every one of you to be prepared by tomorrow morning. And if you have anything you wish to bother either me or Alberich with... well then, you had better deal with it fast. Meeting adjourned."

Later, after everything had settled down a little, Diluc found himself staring up at the sky, his mind a million miles away. He had expected the onslaught of agents to jump at him the second Childe had finished speaking, be it for questions about combat or just life advice. He... hadn't expected the heartfelt and genuine goodbyes, the kind wishes and the teary-eyed smiles all sent in his direction. These agents... these people cared about him. A lot. More than he'd thought to be possible.