Chapter 21

His heart was racing. It was too much, too fast. His breathing was heavy, too. In and out. In and out. Over and over again, until he felt light headed again, until the world around him didn't seem real anymore. He had spent so long running away, trying to become worthy of forgiveness, trying to become someone that Kayea could be proud of despite all the wrongs he had committed, and now he was forced to come back far too soon. He wasn't ready. Not yet. He just- he needed more time. One more month. One more week. Hell, even just one more day would be enough, and then he'd be ready to go back and-

His breath caught in his throat.

This wouldn't do. He needed a plan. He just needed to figure out this whole mess, and then everything would be okay. Maybe he could send someone else to get his vision from Kaeya - surely there had to be some capable Fatui officers in Mondstat, right? Or maybe he wouldn't even need to ask Kaeya for his help - maybe he could just find his vision on his own. After all, he'd heard somewhere that a vision always wanted to return to its master, didn't it?

Oh, forget it. He was too tired for this, too worn out from the road. Any ideas he got right now were bound to be bad ones, and he knew better than to trust his judgement in his current state. What he really needed right now was to pass out in a proper bed for at least twelve hours straight, followed by several hot meals.

Alas, that was just wishful thinking. It wasn't like he could just stroll into some local inn after abandoning his duties as the Cavalry Captain of the Knights of Favonius and running away for years. He had been a famous face all those years ago - he'd get recognized in seconds, and then people would start asking questions, and then his chances of completing the Tsaritsa's mission would be reduced to a big, fat zero. No, he'd have to be a fool to spend the night at an inn of all places. He'd just have to set up his camp as usual, and deal with this issue in the mor-

Wait a second. He was Diluc Ragnvindr, son of Crepus Ragnvindr, the owner of the renowned Dawn Winery, grapevines and mansion and all. He was literally one of the wealthiest people in Mondstat, and he was literally standing right outside of his home. Maybe his time as a member of the Fatui made him dumber. So much for spending time around Il Dottore to work on his intelligence.

But coming home meant seeing the ghosts of his past, and was he really ready to face them?

He slapped himself in the cheek. He was Diluc Ragnvindr, the youngest Cavalry Captain that Mondstat ever had, and the second youngest Harbinger to serve the Tsaritsa. He has tortured, killed, and maimed with no remorse. He has pushed the limits of his mortal body again and again, and he's fought in countless battles, all with the aim of getting stronger. He has chosen to survive rather than live, and may the archons strike him down if he wasn't the best survivor in all of Mondstat. If he could handle all that, then talking to some people from his past would be a breeze.

He took a deep breath, and, with a new bout of determination, made his way to the front doors of the winery. The place hadn't changed at all - the bushes remained well-trimmed, surrounded by the cozy glow of lanterns. The paved landing surrounding the winery itself remained as pristine and clean as ever, with its neat tables and familiar benches. To think that so much time has passed, that Diluc had changed so much, and yet his home was the same as it's always been.

He didn't bother knocking on the door. Why would he? This was his home, after all. There was a small creak as the door stood firm in its place before finally giving way, and Diluc stepped forward. The cold air was replaced by warmth and the familiar smell of Adelinde's cooking, and if Diluc closed his eyes, then maybe he could pretend that he was still a kid, coming home from a long day of training.

There was a clatter from somewhere near the kitchen, and Diluc couldn't help but smile. He really had returned home, hadn't he?

"Elzer? Is that you?" Adelinde's voice rang through the halls, followed by the sound of her footsteps approaching him. He could recognize her footsteps anywhere. "Are you back already?" The footsteps got closer and closer. She was leaving the kitchen right now. A few more steps, and Diluc knew she was walking down the hall. Soon enough, she'd be rounding the corner, and soon enough, she'd see him. "I thought you still had to attend that meeting wi-" Ah, and just as Diluc had predicted, here she was. Perfect timing. "Young M-Master Diluc?"