xɪɪɪ. how silly

THIRTEEN‧₊˚

how silly

"no one was a stranger to critiquing their looks"

!TW: mentions of insecurities revolving around facial features!

ੈ✩‧₊˚

     I stood in the hallway as Miguel helped his little sister to bed, tucking her in I assumed. It seemed rude to go straight to his bed, so I figured I would wait on his arrival. Plus, I had some things I wanted to discuss with him.

     So, when he did walk out, a smirk came to my face that I couldn't get rid of. I had been feeling pretty cocky ever since we left the house earlier, and the attitude hadn't left me yet.

"Oh we went to a restaurant together!" I mock his earlier words with a funny voice, moving my hands around for the full dramatic effect.

"It was all I could think of, okay?" Miguel rolls his eyes at me, leaning against the wall across from me.

"Should have come up with something better, I had to have a whole conversation with your abuela about how you're just such a sweetheart" I drag my words out, the lack of sleep finally starting to show up in my speech. He laughs a little, making me smile at how we were seemingly getting along.

"You could have just said the date went horrible though Mar. Maybe you really do think I'm a sweetheart?" He suggests, looking off the side with a smirk matching mine. I make a face of disgust, raising my hand behind me as I begin to walk off.

"Ew. Gross. You're being weird now. Goodnight." I call while making my way to his room, flipping him jokingly off for extreme measure. I hear his laugh, making me roll my eyes as I shut the door behind me.

"Night!" He calls out, speaking his last words for the day.

     I fall back into his bed, staring at the ceiling with a smile stuck on my red face. He truly caught me off guard with those words, as hilarious as they were. But the nickname I missed so much tonight coming back so suddenly might have made it even worse.

     Truthfully, Miguel could be really funny sometimes, whether we were laughing together or at each other. We might butt heads a lot but I could never deny his power to make me grin. Maybe it wouldn't be so hard to get along with a bitter boy like him? I shouldn't come to a conclusion so soon though, since he does seem to have very bad mood swings.

     Another thing I pondered, was if I was the only one he acts so rude too. I had never witnessed him being unkind to another cast member so far. So why was I the one to be picked on? I'm not the only girl, Maddy can attest to that. I don't think I dress horrible or anything. Plus I never truly did anything wrong to him at the start of us meeting.

     Could it be my looks? I consider it for a second whilst tapping my fingers on my stomach in thought. Miguel did have a mirror in his room, that would be easier to  judge.

     I find myself stood in front of the mirror, a hand on my face to poke and prod. My nose didn't look perfect from the side. My lips seemed a little too big, and my jawline wasn't as prominent as it could be. My brown eyes looked bigger than they should be.

     No one was a stranger to critiquing their looks, myself included. And of course, the more and more I stared, the more my face started to seem odd. Still, Miguel was shallow if he disliked me because of my looks. It could make some sense though, because comparing myself to all the other cast mates was a nightmare.

     Deciding this was a matter to handle at my own house, I get back in Miguel's bed and pull the covers over me. That classic scent wafts it way into my face, making me unable to complain anymore. I pull my arms in front of me, looking at the small bandaid wrapped around my finger.

     That redbull wound made me think it would never stop bleeding. When it did though, I almost didn't want to put a bandaid on it. Still, I followed Miguel's orders that night and dug under the sink for the first aid kit. How silly.

✩‧₊˚TIME SKIP✩‧₊˚

"Someone got special treatment" I hear a voice call, making me groan and stir in bed. Blinking multiple times, I see Tristan standing at the doorway. I pull myself up to look at him, smiling a little bit with tired eyes.

"And someone's up bright and early" I reply, gesturing for him to come over. He does, siting on the edge of bed before laying back and stretching across my legs.

"Bright and early? It's like 11 right now" Tristan informs me, turning his head to emphasize.

"Oh god.." I reply, waiting for the questioning that I knew would soon arrive.

"What'd you stay up doing?" He asks, a smile on his face.

"Nothing just scrolling on my phone and stuff" I lie, looking away from him in shame. He nods, rolling his eyes playfully with a smirk.

"If that was true, there wouldn't be a little kid at the kitchen table right now" Tristan reminds me while sitting up, telling me to come and eat with them.

     After walking into the kitchen very sluggishly, a bright eyed Miguel looks up at me. He grabs a bowl of dry cereal, pouring milk into it and placing in a spoon. I take it from him and mutter a thank you, going to sit down on a barstool beside Mason and Tristan.

    I definitely wasn't a morning person, even though it technically wasn't morning anymore. Dipping the spoon into my cereal, I take a small bite and have to stop from the sudden cold milk.

"Sleep well?" Mason asks, a boyish smirk on his face. I make myself taller in my chair to see down the small row. Everyone was looking my way with that same smirk.

"Hey I had to bribe him to let me even sleep there. Think smarter not harder guys" I mutter, getting no backup from Miguel who's putting milk back in the fridge.

"Miguel slept on the couch just so you could have his bed.. sounds a little suspicious to me" Brady says jokingly, making me set down my spoon.

     I make little noises that copy what he said before saying "sounds a little suspicious to me" in a stupid voice. I notice Maddy choke on her cereal before covering her mouth with a grin. Miguel seems to snicker to himself from across the room before moving back over to us.

"I do not sound like that" He protests, raising a hand into the air as I giggle.

"I do not sound like that" I mock him with my hand in the air too before eating some more cereal. Tristan laughs too now, shaking his head at our antics.

"Guys look at your phones" Mason says, making me peer over his shoulder instead of grabbing my own phone out. It was a mass message saying we would be filming in 3 days.

"Have any of us even rehearsed?" Miguel asks, receiving a bunch of no's.

"Jeez.."

————————————————

Author: This has been.. my most.. least fav chapter kinda. Like I love the start and Maria showing some insecurities, as well as the funny kitchen scene. But eh it feels kinda mid to me. I just couldn't pass up on doing this chap tho bc I wanted to show how everyone was surprised Miguel and Maria are hanging out. BUT M&M ARE SO CUTE AT THE START OF THIS LOWKEY AND HE KINDA GETS FLIRTY FOR THE FIRST TIME.

P.S. who do you think falls first?