III

Halaena spent the whole afternoon debating her possibilities alone in her chambers. It was a big decision and one she didn't have a part in. She was to marry Lord Tywin Lannister and now she was sure of it since a letter was delivered in her chambers, summoning her to supper with her brother, her sister, and the Hand of the King.

She knew her brother didn't want her living in the capital, he had never liked her, even when they were children. Her sister and he always played together, leaving her alone.

She knew that there was nothing she could do except marry Lord Tywin, however, she wasn't happy about it. Halaena had worse candidates to marry her, but still, she could be marrying someone better, someone who wasn't so close to the king.

Her only choice was how she was supposed to act during her engagement and marriage. After many hours of thinking, she finally concluded that she would give Tywin Lannister another chance, maybe, deep inside, he was a good man and could be a respectful husband. Besides, she was happy to live somewhere else and she had heard good things about Casterly Rock.

Maybe her engagement with Tywin Lannister would be good after all. There was nothing she could do to change it, so it would be better for everyone if she stayed positive.

Looking into the mirror one last time, she was satisfied with her appearance. That night, the young Targaryen chose to wear a light blue silk dress and asked her lady-in-waiting to braid her hair. She wasn't looking forward to dinner, but she rarely left her chambers without checking as many times as possible if she was looking decent enough.

Opening the door, she climbed the stairs towards the wing where the dinner was going to be held. She didn't remember the last time she had supper in that precise dining room, it was probably before her father died. After that, it was only reserved for the King, the Queen, and their beloved guests.

There were two guards outside the room, who immediately opened the doors to let her step in. Aerys, Rhaella, and Tywin were already sitting at the table, apparently waiting for her, while more than ten servants attended to them.

"Sister, how marvelous with you to finally grace us with your presence. We were wondering if the guards needed to get you," Aerys grinned and sipped his wine, probably drunk already.

He was seating at the head of a table, while Tywin sat beside him and Rhaella took the other seat beside her husband. Seeing there was only one plate left next to Rhaella she took her seat without saying a word.

Refusing to act cowardly, she looked straight into the eyes of Tywin Lannister, who was already looking at her, "Good evening."

"No bow? No titles?" Aerys laughed, looking at Tywin, who finally took his eyes off Halaena's. "You walked right into a trap, my old friend. Look what you will be dealing with."

"Pardon me, your grace," Halaena showed him her most sarcastic smile, "It still feels strange to me to treat you as a king after I saw you crying because you saw our dear sister talking to the butcher boy."

Aerys grabbed his knife and pointed it at her, looking at her with anger, "I am your king and everyone else's. Disrespect me again and I'll cut your tongue."

Rhaella looked scared and Tywin looked stoic as always, none of them said a thing.

"I beg your pardon, your grace."

They sat silent for a minute or two while the servants started putting the food on the table and filling their plates.

"So, Tywin, inform us about your plans with our little sister. When is the wedding?"

Tywin cleared his throat before speaking, "Me and Lady Halaena spoke just this morning about it. We decided to wait a while longer. I shall take your sister with me to Casterly Rock in a few weeks, then I will return to King's Landing while she waits for me there, and eventually, I will ride back to the Rock, where we will marry in one year and a half, I predict." He spoke every word calmly, pronouncing each syllable carefully.

That was new information for Halaena as well, but she didn't complain. The arrangement was fine in her opinion, she would be away from King's Landing and her family.

Aerys narrowed his eyes, looking at his wife for what seemed to be the first time since their meal started, "What do you think?"

Rhaella seemed to be surprised at his question, "I think Lord Tywin thought it through and through. It is a fine arrangement, I believe. There has never been a Targaryen married to a Lannister, maybe it is something we should be looking forward to."

"Wise words, dear," Aerys II grinned almost madly, "But I must disagree. The wedding must be held here, with a bedding ceremony. Do it whenever you wish to, but those are my terms."

Dropping her fork, Halaena widened her eyes and got up from her chair, making everyone look at her, "There won't be a bedding ceremony. I refuse."

"Sit. Down." The king warned, but she didn't obey, "You will not defy me. If I say there will be a bedding ceremony, then you shall not go against my word."

"I will starve myself before I allow it."

Tywin didn't say anything but raised his eyes to Halaena when the King got up from his chair and marched towards his younger sister, grabbing her arm forcefully, "Listen to me, ao byka līve. Father and mother are no longer here to protect you. You have no one. So either you start showing some respect to me or I will sell you to the first whorehouse I found. Shifang?"

She took a deep breath before nodding her head, she knew what was best for her. He walked away from her and sat on his chair again acting as if nothing happened. With tears in her eyes, she did the same.

"Tywin, do you agree?" He cut his meat roughly while his Hand looked at him.

"Yes, your grace. I will make sure she returns to the Red Keep before the wedding ceremony."

The four of them ate in silence during the rest of the meal. The only sound they could hear was the burning logs of the fireplace.

Halaena was the first to finish eating since she wasn't particularly in the mood to eat. Watching her soon-to-be husband, she sighed and decided to break the silence, "When will we go to Casterly Rock, my lord?"

Tywin raised his gaze from his plate to look at her, "In a few weeks, maybe two or three."

"Is it not possible for us to go sooner?"

Before Tywin could reply, Aerys spoke again, "I'm not sure I follow your plans anymore. If the wedding is going to happen here, then why will she be staying in the Rock until the wedding? She can stay here, she has been doing that for sixteen years."

"I want Lady Halaena to get familiar with Casterly Rock before we marry. Besides, I have some business to attend to there, so I have to go there either way."

Aerys nodded his head and looked at Halaena with raised eyebrows, "You are not going to embarrass our house, are you?"

"No, your grace," she looked at her plate as she said those words, "May I leave now? I'm tired."

"Leave. Tomorrow we have a tournament to celebrate the prince's first name day. We expect you there, on your best behavior."

Halaena got up from her chair and bowed her hair, "Well, I wish you all a good night," she forced a smile and made eye contact with Tywin for just a second before leaving the room.

As soon as the guards opened the doors the tears immediately started running down her cheeks before she could stop them. Taking deep breaths she did her best to clean her cheeks with the palms of her hands so she wouldn't look so miserable, but she could barely stop crying as she kept repeating her brother's words in her head.

She walked as fast to her chambers as her legs allowed her, knowing she needed to leave King's Landing as soon as possible. She hated her brother, she hated her sister. She hated everyone in the Red Keep. Halaena desperately needed to get away from that hell, even if it meant marrying someone she didn't like.

Casterly Rock seemed like a safe place to her, but at that point, she was willing to go anywhere that wasn't King's Leaving. If it was needed, she would even go the Winterfell, where their summer was as cold as winter.

She just needed to leave. Forever.