VI

That morning, Halaena woke up to the sound of her door opening and closing. Startled, she got up from her bed to see it was only Margaret, "Good morning, princess Halaena. You've slept half the day away and I woke you up because your brother has called you."

She didn't think much about it as she sat on her bed and massaged her temples, "Was he angry?"

"I don't know, my lady. I only received a message from a guard," she handed the Targaryen the dress she was supposed to wear that day and made her bed while she got dressed.

It had been three days since the tournament to celebrate Rhaegar's name day. She had not done much those days, but she was happy. Tywin had been courting her like a proper knight, which she didn't fully understand. The way he was acting towards her seemed strange to her and everyone else. He wasn't exactly kind, but he did not seem to mind spending one hour or two with her each day.

She rushed towards the throne room, wondering what was so important for her brother to call her first thing in the morning, or at least, in her morning.

Followed by guards, she didn't suppress her yawn when she turned around the corner to finally enter the Great Hall. The guards at the door opened it for her in an instant and she walked inside, still being followed by two guards.

Her brother was seating on the throne, which seemed to be the only thing he did all day.

"Sister, I'm not sure Tywin will let you sleep as much as I do when you move to the Rock. You will have to leave your laziness behind, I'm afraid." He spoke loudly before she could even approach him.

Luckily no one was there to witness it, except for the guards, obviously. She bowed her head when she was closer to the throne and her brother watched her attentively, "Your grace."

He inspected her far longer than she wished, "You're probably wondering why I have called you. What could you have possibly done this time?" She narrowed her eyes, waiting for him to continue, "You know, I have been thinking about something this morning. I have been rather busy these last days and I only took the time to think about my sister's future this morning."

Her heart started pounding in her chest and for a minute she felt like screaming and crying, expecting his next words to be dreadful. Halaena knew how much he wanted to torment her and even worse, he was perfectly aware she couldn't wait to leave the Red Keep. Terrified, she was utterly terrified when she came to the conclusion of what he was about to do. He wouldn't let her leave King's Landing, she was certain of it.

"Are you happy with your engagement, my dear sister?"

She didn't know what to answer, taking longer than it was necessary, "For now."

"Tywin Lannister must be thrilled about this as well. I don't know if you remember, but when he first came to King's Landing, he was a server, as he is now. But he used to be a cupbearer before I befriended him." He paused to laugh, "And now he is marrying my younger sister, a Targaryen. Is he worthy of you? Are you sure you want to marry him, sister? If you want me to end this alliance, you just need to say the right words."

She took deep breaths to calm herself down.

"Yes, I want to marry Tywin Lannister."

He laughed again, "Of course you do. But let me tell you something, sister. We, Targaryens, are different from the rest of them. We are gods above men and we have been superior in every way for hundreds of years." He got up from his throne and started climbing down the stairs in her direction, "And Tywin Lannister is just a man, a man with an army and wits. Do you think you know him?"