Twelve

The set was dark, and the children dressed in black had run onto the stage, the Nazareth boards in their hands. From the side of the stage, Robin smiled as the faint tones of trumpets began on the CD player.

Matt was the first child out, dancing his little heart out, with Zack and a few other boys following suit. They were setting the tone, and doing a brilliant job of it.

William was doing brilliantly as Joseph, Saffron taking Mary on like a champ. It was so great to see them starring the way that they should be.

Of course, there had to be a big finish to the first song. And, of course, that big finish was Alfie sliding in on his knees.

It went dark, and the children all bustled about, finding where they were supposed to be next. Robin went around the other side of the stage for this number, making it easier for some of the children to leave the set and change.

Joseph left Mary for the next song. The romance song that they had been dreading. There had only been a few decent run throughs, but that was okay. One Look was a beautiful song, and Robin knew it.

It had been her favourite to write. Her favourite to perform. But every time she listened to it, it made her cry. That was the beauty of a good song.

As the set changed once again, Paul caught Robin's eye from the opposite side of the wings. He offered her a small smile, one of slight relief, and she just copied that. Butterflies rampaged through her chest.

Then it was the Gabriel scene. And though Robin had nothing to do with it, she was glad it went off without a hitch. There was so much that could have gone wrong, and didn't.

❄️ 🎄 ❄️

Backstage, Robin had been forced to go to the other side of the stage again as there were an immense amount of costume changes coming up. Of course, things had to go wrong when it had been so smooth.

Sam asked, tentatively. "Mr Maddens?"

"Yes, darling?" He replied, only half listening as he finished putting an eyeliner moustache on Bob.

"I have a tummy ache." She pouted. "I don't think I can go on."

"Oh, Sam. We really need you to go on."

Robin turned around and asked, calmly. "Have you tried taking deep breaths?"

"Yeah."

"Tried taking your hat off for once?" Paul said, passive aggressively. She nodded. "Okay, Alfie, you're just gonna have to do it."

The young boy had just walked in, not expecting to have been dropped it at the deep end. He was still wearing his angel costume. "What?"

"Can you go on in Sam's place please?" Robin asked him kindly, though, he has no choice.

"No way."

Paul crossed his arms. "Why?"

"Because that's a girls costume."