𝟐

'𝐍𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟎'          'welcome to uptown'

"𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐋 𝐈𝐒 '𝐋𝐈𝐘𝐀𝐇?", lauryn asked as she looked down at her watch, tapping her foot impatiently. "right. we're already late and it's cold as hell. she needs to hurry before my nipples freeze off.", selena complained as she aggressively pulled her hood on her head. laughing at her friends dumb comment, kalani stuffed her gloved hands into her pockets, looking up and down the street for any sign of her sister.

"my daddy had to bring her. you know him and my stepmom have to sign those papers.", kalani reminded the two impatient females. looking over at them, she couldn't help but laugh at selena's pissed off expression and lauryns quivering lip. "y'all are dumb.", kalani laughed. "is that them?", lauryn asked as she perked up excitedly watching the black mercedes benz park in an empty spot.

"yep. that's them.", kalani confirmed as she waved her hand, signaling for aaliyah, her father, and her stepmother to hurry up. "come on, guys! i'm gonna get hypothermal if i stay out her any longer!", selena yelled across the parking lot. "you're gonna get what?", lauryn asked as she looked over at selena confused. "hypothermal? you know the thing you get when you stay out in the cold for too long?"

"hypothermia?", kalani corrected, looking stupidly at the bundled up female standing beside her. "potato, potatoe", selena dismissed, turning her attention back to the three people approaching them. "lord, help her.", lauryn shook her head, holding her arms out to hug aaliyah. "hey yall. sorry we're late. somebody decided to eat three plates of pancakes this morning.", aaliyah said, cutting her eyes at her father.

"hush girl. hey 'lani. how you doing, babygirl?", morris asked, embracing his eldest daughter in a hug. "hey daddy. i'm fine. still dealing with that crazy lady.", she said, referring to her mother. everyone went silent. they all knew what the case was when it came to kalani and her mother. they knew she was an addict. they knew her and kalani didn't get along. they knew how she treated kalani and miles. it was nothing new.

"y'all know y'all don't have to do this every time i bring her up, right?", kalani asked, attempting to lighten the mood. it still remained silent. stepping forward, kalani embraced her stepmother in a hug. "hi, ma. how you doing?", she asked, changing the subject all together. "hi, 'lani. i've been doing fine, baby. i hope you can say the same.", she said giving kalani a knowing look. kalani nodded. "i've been trying. just dealing with it for now."

"now you know you can always come stay with us. your big headed father ain't getting in the way of nothing.", angela said, cutting her eyes back at her husband who ignored her and continued conversation with lauryn, selena, and aaliyah. "i know, ma. i know. but there is no way in hell i'm leaving miles with that monster. i almost had a heart attack leaving him with her when we signed the contracts.", kalani joked, sharing a laugh with angela.