𝟑

'𝐍𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐌𝐄𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟎'          'new beginnings i '

"𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐖𝐄 𝐀𝐑𝐄, 𝐌𝐀'𝐀𝐌" opening her eyes, kalani looked around, realizing they had arrived at her fathers house.  "that'll be twenty dollars even.", the man said, reaching his hand back. rolling her eyes, kalani reached back into her pocket and pulled out a twenty dollar bill. smacking it down into his hand, kalani was sure it left a red mark on his fair skin. opening the door, kalani got out, careful not to wake the sleeping boy in her arms.

closing the cab door, she walked weakly up the concrete driveway. "damn boy, you're heavy.", she mumbled as she adjusted miles on her hip. walking up to the brown wood and glass door, she rang the doorbell, sending a ding throughout the house. "i got it!", she heard from the inside. as kalani looked up, the door swung open revealing angela. her long braids were up in a bun while she sported a dark blue apron. 

"kalani? what the hell happened?", she asked as she reached out and grabbed the sleeve of her hoodie. after pulling her inside, she quickly closed the door and guided kalani through the kitchen and to the dining room. "morris! get down here now!", she yelled up the steps. pulling out a chair, she sat kalani down before taking the towel off of her shoulder and wiping the sweat and tears off of kalani's face.

"what you doing all that yelling fo- what the hell happened?", morris cut himself off, sounding exactly like angela as he rushed over to his daughters side. "the crackhead you layed down with 19 years ago happened." grabbing her chin, angela looked over the scratches on kalani's face. taking the towel, she gently placed it over kalani's lip to stop the bleeding. "what's going on down he-what happened?!", aaliyah asked as she entered the dining room and caught a glimpse of her sisters face.

"it looks like you got mauled by a cat.", she winced, running her finger over a scratch above kalani's eyebrow. wincing in pain, kalani gently pulled her head back. "that hurts, 'liyah." she was so physically and mentally exhausted. she was drained. "sorry, 'lani.", aaliyah apologized. "aaliyah, take miles upstairs and put him in the guest room.", angela instructed. nodding, aaliyah grabbed miles from kalani's arms. kalani handed him over, but not before planting a kiss to his forehead.

"now what the hell happened?", asked angela, handing off the cloth to morris so he could go wet it. "after i left Uptown, i went to get miles from the bus stop, and when i got home, there was a man coming out of the apartment.", kalani explained, accepting the damp cloth her father came back with. "he just walked past us, so me and miles walked in and i told him to go to his room, then she started an argument with me about where i was and the stuff going on with Uptown. then we fought.", she shrugged.

"after that i went to get miles and she came in there starting shi-", she paused looking at her father who shot her a warning look. "-stuff again. i went to leave but she hit me while i had miles in my hands. then i put him down and we fought again. then i left her there and me and miles got in a cab and came here.", kalani said, lifting her head slightly to allow her father to put vaseline over her cuts. "so i need to go over there is what i'm hearing?", angela asked.