Chapter 8 - Slip Into Hell

Ezra closed the door behind Rhia, Carter and Nina and a bright smile spread across his lips. He couldn't believe she agreed to go away with him for the week.

"I'm so glad Rhia's going with you." Belle sighed next to him. "It's nice to see her wanting to spend time with someone other than her residents," she said, wiggling her eyebrows. "Make sure you book a nice little cabin with one bed."

"I'm not sure Rhia would appreciate that," Ezra said, laughing as a blush scorched his cheeks. "But I'll definitely book a nice two-bedroom cabin."

"Oh, come on, do a little oopsie," she said, nudging his arm. "Have a little fun."

"Nope, I'm a gentleman, Belle. I don't want to mess this up, but I'll make sure we have a good time," he said, walking down the hall to his room.

Ezra closed his door behind him and placed a privacy spell around it to keep Belle from following him before he held his hand over the floor. A circle of fire erupted in the wood as he stepped inside of it and sank below the Earth.

The glamor around him fell away. His hair rescinded into his scalp while his horns sprouted from his head and his tawny skin turned a deep shade of midnight. A smile tugged at his lips as he pushed through the black gilded gates of his cavernous home, breathing in the comforting smell of sulfur and fire.

"Sir! What are you doing here?" A petite demon with red russet skin, tightly curled blonde hair and golden horns exclaimed as she stood from her desk of molten rock and pushed her wire-rimmed glasses from her face.

"Hello to you too, Jin. I'm not staying long," Ezra said, walking past her to his office. "I just need to see the core."

"Oo, Gavina isn't going to be happy to see you," Jin said, snickering.

Ezra rolled his eyes. "She'll get over it," he said, continuing through the tall black doors into his office. He smirked at his pixie platinum haired sister sitting in his high back black chair overlooking the swirling mass of fire and lava with her golden feet propped up on the glass barrier around the core. "Having a good time?"

Gavina swirled around the chair with her icy blue eyes glaring at him. "I thought I told you not to come back here for at least a human month," she said, leaning over his stone carved desk. "Why are you here?"

"I need to speak with Gia."

"How?" Gavina frowned. "She's been in a deep sleep since...well, you know."

"No, she hasn't. She's been awake for some time now," Ezra said, holding a glowing hand up to the core. "Show yourself, Goddess of the Divine."

A small stream of glittering white energy seeped from the core and slithered over the barrier before it swirled into the body of a slender woman with branches of gold and black tips protruding from her head of long, braided black hair that graced the slate floor. A dress the color of midnight graced her deep brown skin and six iridescent eyes slid open on her face as her mouth curled into a sharp-toothed grin. "Hello, Sae'tänezyrian."

"Oh my stars," Gavina breathed, sliding a hand over her mouth as she stood, and tears pricked the corners of her eyes. "Brother, does this mean Ruhina is..."

"Yes, my daughter is alive," Gia said, crossing her arms over her chest as she tapped a long golden fingernail against her skin. "And you don't have much time to prepare her."

"No, but you can use this to cloak her curse's effect on Godiran." Ezra said, holding out his hand and three strands of Rhia's hair floated in his palm. "It won't last very long, but it'll give me enough time to do what I need to."

"And what if it doesn't? What if Rhia doesn't remember who she is?" Gavina said, rubbing a hand over her arm. "I can't watch you go through losing her again. If Godiran kills her this time, she won't come back."