Chapter 19 - Do What You Must

The brush of Rhia's fingers against Ezra's stirred a warmth in him. He was disappointed in her for making that decision without him, but he couldn't stay mad at her and he felt guilty that he was giving her the cold shoulder.

He curled his fingers around hers, and his heart simmered when she didn't pull away. He didn't want to keep up the turmoil between them, and she was right to be upset that he didn't want to immediately clear the air.

"Put a barrier around yourselves," Callie said as she floated down to the top of the cage. "Vynri's going to lash out when I wake him."

"Are you sure about this?" Carter said as Ezra formed a shimmering barrier of protection around them. "He killed you before."

"Yes, and I knew it was coming," she said, holding her hands out above the cage. "Vynri, expergiscimini e somno."

The floor shook and the lights flickered as the hinges of the steel cage broke away, crashing against the floor with a loud thud. The ghouls hissed in anger, cowering into the corners of their cages as a deep guttural growl erupted from the being awakening from its slumber while thick black tendrils shot out from its back as the bulbous black blob hovered off the ground.

"Ruhina!" the hunter hissed as its tendrils came to a point and stabbed at the barrier. "Fear me!"

"That thing is not a god," Gavina said, pointing at the hideous beast as its tendrils continued to stab and swipe at them. "And it's not a child of Sephyr's."

"Vynri no!" Callie yelled, swirling in front of it with her arms wide. "I'm here," she said in a soft, comforting voice. "Remember me? It's Callie."

"Callie?" the being whispered as its tendrils froze and slowly slithered away from the barrier. "I killed you."

"Yes, you did," she said as she floated toward it. "I know you didn't mean to."

"I tried to change," it murmured as its tendrils wrapped around her wispy form. "But you couldn't help me."

"I know, but I can now, and you can't hurt me again," Callie whispered, pressing her glowing hands against the bulbous being. "Ostende te," she said. "Let go, Vynri, and show us who you are."

The being's black form lit up in a glow of light. "Callie! It burns!" The being screeched in agony as its tendrils twisted and lashed out while black globs of flesh melted off its body and the remnants sizzled on the floor.

"Holy shit," Rhia gasped, squeezing Ezra's hand as black legs and arms unfolded from the rotund mass. Sharp purple horns protruded from the god's head and he opened his vibrant violet eyes before he fell to the floor with a thud.

"Vynri?" Callie called, swirling around him, touching his cheek. He groaned as his tendrils shrank and slithered into his back. "Oh, good you're still breathing."

A soft, tired laugh left the god's lips as he lifted his hand, flexing his fingers. "It...it worked."

Callie smiled. "How do you feel?"

"Free," he murmured, sitting up and sliding his hand to Callie's cheek as his bright eyes filled with tears. "I wish I didn't kill you."

"It's okay," she whispered, wrapping her hands around his wrist. "I knew what I was getting myself into, but there are some people who'd like to meet you," she said, looking behind her. "You can come closer now."

Ezra's heart pounded as he dissolved the barrier around them and took a hesitant step toward the young god as he shed his human glamor. Tears pricked his eyes as another wave of guilt washed over him that he never sensed the souls of his kin inside the hunters. "Vynri," he said, kneeling down to him. "I'm –"