9.

"Excuse me?" Pierre waved his hands in front of a villager. "Could you please tell me where this um- well, it's this restaurant by the water, you see...somewhere over-" he pointed in the general direction of the shore- "there?"

"Sorry-" the villager broke off and hurried down the street.

The pirate gave an exasperated sigh before stopping the next person. "Do you happen to know where this rest-"

"No, I don't," the villager interrupted.

"That's bullshit." Pierre grabbed at his arm, offering a threatening smile. "I haven't finished my question and I also don't take you for a psychic, so you can answer my question once I've stated it in full, or you can arrive home to the family today with matching bleeding cuts on your cheeks."

All talk, this one.

The man glanced down at the sword hanging from Pierre's side before nodding nervously.

"Now, somewhere near here there is a restaurant by the shore. What's its name?"

The villager gulped. "You might be thinking of Cassie's place. It's by the shore over there." He pointed in the opposite direction of where they now stood.

Pierre roughly let go of the villager. "Thank you. Enjoy your day."

The pirate adjusted his new and improved hat while the villager scuttled away, and took a deep and shaky breath.

Cassie's place wasn't far from where Pierre stood, which meant soon Bakery Boy- sorry, Jack- wouldn't be far either. Pierre snapped open his pocket watch. 25 minutes until 11:30. He was glad he'd left early; you just never know with things like this.

Patting down his unruly hair and cracking his knuckles, Pierre started in the direction of the restaurant.

Maybe he didn't have to go through with this, he thought as he approached Cassie's place. In fact, he really didn't have to at all. He could back out at any time. Pierre rolled his eyes. No, he couldn't. What was he thinking? His shoulders straightened and he set a determined look on his face as he pushed open the restaurant doors.

He was early. He still had plenty of time to console himself before Jack arrived.

I am the very definition of confidence, Pierre told himself as he searched for the outdoor, sea-facing dining area. I am the moment...WE will be the moment. I am not nervous and I will be fine. Who gave anyone the permission to make me feel so stupid and vulnerable over a boy anyway? Me, that's who. Well, no more. I am not scared-

Pierre froze as he spotted Jack sitting at a table, staring out into the sea, and was suddenly, indeed, very scared.

~~~

Bored out of her mind, that's what Ash was. She was sprawled out on her bed, her head hanging upside down off the edge.

If she would have known Pierre would be going on a date with Bakery Boy, she would have taken advantage of these few hours to pay off the pirate hat. She could probably get away with sneaking out of the inn and into town without Asterin spotting her. She was sneaky...she could do it.

Sitting up determinedly, Ash peeked through the closed curtains of her room's window, scanning the streets below. She had no idea where the captain was sleeping or where they currently were. She was just going to have to risk it.

Patting her boot to confirm the knife was still tucked safely inside, Ash left the inn, pulled her hood up around her head, and subtly slipped onto the street among the other pedestrians.