Chapter 3

Amelia

It took about twenty minutes of enduring my aunt recall all of my past 'misdemeanors' for the device to finally provide a result.

"Captain . . . it's negative. There is no Moonshine in her system. Her Use History says she has never used Moonshine."

Everyone on the scene was silent for a moment. Dave was staring at me and everyone else also turned to stare at me.

Relief made me weaker than I already was as I slid off the pavement I was seated on to my knees.

I had really thought that for sure, my aunt would find a way to make that test positive and that I was going to get thrown out of my pack immediately.

I looked up to stare at Captain Keane because I wanted to know the follow-up of this matter. How were things going to be dealt with?

Would these people be able to casually accuse someone and get away with it?

"Maybe . . . maybe she got the device and planned to use it later on? But got caught before she could use it?"

I looked away from Captain Keane to the only lady in the Supernatural Council group. She turned to glare at me when I stared at her, but when she heard Captain Keane's next words, she stiffened.

"Oh? Neutral Supernatural Council members now help packs justify mistakes and injustice against their pack members? That's great to know. We'll talk about this later when we get back to HQ." Captain Keane drawled indifferently, but I knew from the snarky lady's involuntary shiver that she was afraid of this young 'Captain Keane' whom my Alpha had called by title.

"This Supernatural Council lady is right! I must have found the device and submitted it way too early to Alpha Vincent. Just in time to prevent Amelia from committing a crime and protect —" My aunt Claire jumped into the conversation instantly, trying to justify herself.

"Give me the device. I will personally investigate how it got into the room of a 17-year-old member of the Mcnarty pack. Dave, give them the verdict."

At his words, my aunt, whose mouth was opened as though she was about to say more, closed her mouth and shivered.

In fact, we all shivered. There was a chill to the way Captain Keane had accentuated 'personally'.

Dave immediately started giving the 'verdict'. "We . . . uh, Captain will investigate how the device got into Amelia's hands, but for now, since there is no proof that Amelia was using Moonshine, we can only wait until we know the whole truth. Especially since she has claimed not to know how the Moonshine device got into her room—"

"Amelia will not be treated as a criminal until the results of my investigation are announced which means she will go to Camdine Academy with the special admission ticket her parent's Supernatural Council veteran status earned her." Captain Keane paused as if to give us a few seconds to digest his verdict. Then he turned to his teammates, "You guys clean up here while I talk to Alpha Vincent briefly. Alpha Vincent, shall we go to your office?"

"Of course. This way." I watched as Alpha Vincent led Captain Keane away and then I stared at my aunt, who avoided my eyes, bowed to the present pack council members and Supernatural Council members, and walked away.

Without waiting for a single minute or bowing to either the pack council members or the 4-unit Supernatural Council members, I walked away, stopping at the cafeteria to grab something to eat and some snacks. Then I walked deep into the woods until I could see a cottage from a distance.

From the outside, the cottage looked like an old, abandoned cottage, but when I pushed the door open and stumbled inside, it felt like the only home I'd had since my parents died.