4 - The chancellor

The man, or whatever it was in front of you made a weird sound again and you felt the hair on your arms raise as it took another step forward.

"Alright. Gentlemen, why don't we just go our separate ways. I don't know what you guys are doing in our lands, without human forms – because there is no way you guys think those faces look anything like ours – but I need to leave, now. And you're currently making me feel as if you don't intend to let me do that." You took a quick peak behind you and your blood went cold as you realized the others had gotten closer, one of them rattling his nails with a horrendous sound against the concrete wall.

"What..." You turned your hand at the word. One of them was leaning on a turned off lamp post, his hand furiously scratching at his arms. A goosebumps spread over your skin as you spotted the open flesh on it. "What does looking like you means ?" It finally said. And its voice was nothing like you had imagined. Like it had come out the very pit of his stomach, a sound so freaky you wished you could forget it the next second.

"What do you mean ?" You asked anyway, the sweat on your forehead sliding down your skin before you wiped it away.

"You all look different, just like –" It made a weird sound and took a step forward. "us. You eat and shit, like us. You kill, you betray, your hearts are made of the same hatred ours are. So what does –"

The very breath left your chest as you felt his breath only an arm form your face. How had he moved so fast ? You had not seen anything. "What does looking like you, humans--" he kept going. "means, girl ?"

"I-- I think I may have, somehow, offended you..."

He let out a sort of hiccup, of or a burp you had no idea, the sound being weird as hell. "Offended ?" His shoulders began to move and he threw his head backward with force before letting out a sort of mad laugh, frenzied and horrific. You could not help but reach for your knife. "Do you hear her, brothers. She doesn't want to offend us. How interesting."

You did not want to hear any more. Not only was he giving you the creeps but the more you waited for him to talk, the more they were surrounding you, leaving no escape route.

You tightened your fingers on your knife, taking it out of the pouch, eager to slash his face, or his already bruised arm but you never even landed your hit as his fingers seized your wrist with a cracking sound and you did not have time to wonder if it had come from you or him. You tried to shake him away before he pushed you against the wall with such brutal force it emptied your lungs of any air left in them.

"Fuck." You breathed, any knowledge of fighting strangely having left your body.

"What should I do with you ?" He snickered. "Pretty, polite human gir--" he never finished his sentence as he stopped, his cold breath on your face a haunting feeling prickling your skin. "What is..." He hummed the air around you, coming closer and the feeling of his body against yours sent shivers all the way down to your stomach. Disgust and fear fighting for dominance in your body. "What are you ? Why do you smell like that ?"

You pushed him away only allowing him even closer and you let out a pained sound as his tongue brushed the skin of your neck. His tongue was rough and hot as it trailed over your skin.

"Let go of me you fucking monster." You cursed, finally freeing your arm from his grip, you threw your elbow in his face and he took a few steps back. You looked around noticing the others had not moved an inch. "This is gonna go very ugly if you don't let me leave you fucking bastards. Let me tell you you found the wrong person to mess with tonight." you raised the knife at your shoulders level, ready to strike back and fight your way through them. You doubted you could fight back against a group of demons.