Chapter 34: Lookout

The burning pain in his shoulder was the least of his concern as his body hit the water. The water's cold icy grip seemed to pull him further under as he struggled to swim to the surface. His head hit the underneath of a boat. His nails tried to scrabble for something to grip as he tried to find the surface. It was getting harder to hold his breath.

The cold water was sapping his strength.

He was getting tired.

His shoulder burned.

Everything was growing dark.

Then there was a hiss.

He wanted to live. He needed to live. They were going to take her. Please!

His head smacked hard against the boat when something hit him in the back. Another hiss as bubbles erupted from his mouth, and water quickly replaced the air in his lungs.

'I can save you if you agree to help me.'

He knew better. Please! Help her!

'I am expecting your help when I ask for it.'

He didn't care someone needed to help her.

Arms hooked under his shoulders.

'I expect the help when you are at your strongest.'

His head broke the surface, but he couldn't breathe. The world tilted as he was dragged onto the dock. He couldn't breathe, and a hand started to pat his cheek.

"Breathe."

His brother knelt over him.

Breathe.

Breathe!

0

Laik sat up, gasping for air. He crashed to the floor, wheezing and gasping as the voice hissed in his ear. 'Your stalling!'

"I'm busy!"

'You still owe me!'

"I will help as soon as I'm off probation!" There was a snarl in his ear, and he flinched away. "I can't leave the pack grounds!"

'You are weak! Are all weres this weak now?'

Laik let out a growl as he looked over at the mirror on his closet. "Fuck you!" His next words were cut off when the door to his room opened, and Kevin was looking for him.

When Kevin found Laik on the floor, on the other side of his bed, wheezing, he looked around the room, "Who are you yelling at?"

Laik dropped his head, trying to catch his breath, "Nightmare." He pressed his forehead against the floor. It took him a moment to realize he was gritting his teeth together from the chills his body was being wracked with. It's been so long since he felt a chill this deep.

Kevin crossed the room to kneel next to him. "Laik, you need to talk to someone."

He shook his head, "I have two more years. I can do it. Just two more."

"Laik, you need help."

When he shook his head again, Kevin sighed. Laik had to hide his face. He didn't like this either, but he couldn't. They made it sound like they were going to lock him away. He couldn't do it, not after what happened to him.

Kevin placed a comforting hand on Laik's shoulder. "I will stand with your choices Laik. But as soon as it becomes dangerous, I will have to take you to them."

"I'm fine. I won't hurt anyone. I won't." When Laik looked up at Kevin. Kevin was faced with the same defeated look Laik had given him when he had first shown up on his doorstep. "Just two more, and I'll see anyone you pick. Just not through the council." Laik slowly sat up. "You and I both know they're waiting for a reason to hold something over your head after you basically told them to stuff it on their proposition."