T H I R T Y

As Mya brushed out Aemma's hair, Aemma stared into the mirror, her eyes examining her reflection.

"Stop dissecting yourself, Aemma. You look perfect." Mya said as she rubbed oil in between her hands and coated Aemma's hair. It smelled like flowers in the garden. Aemma smiled at her handmaiden through the mirror and sighed.

"I wish my family were here to celebrate with me." She said as she picked at a scratch on the table. Mya squeezed her shoulder reassuringly.

"I'm sure they feel the same way. Has your brother sent anything?" She asked.

"Yes, it was a lovely letter. My mother gave me a beautiful Valyrian steel necklace. She said it was the same one Daemon gave to her when she was around my age." Aemma said, her eyes drifting to the necklace that sat in the box.

"Perhaps you can wear it tonight." Mya suggested as she turned and picked up the gown that Aemma was supposed to wear. It was beautiful, a white dress with lace detailing, and instead of sleeves, pearls wrapped over her arms to hold it in place. Aemma wore white elbow-length gloves to match, and she ensured they would not roll down this time.

"I think that is a lovely idea." Aemma said as Mya placed a tiara onto her head, a dainty little thing, adorned with rubies.

"Now, let us get you into this dress!" Mya held her hand out and helped Aemma dress. The laces in the back kept the dress taught, the pearls on her arms more for decoration than support. Aemma spun from left to right, smiling at the way the fabric billowed. Her eyes flickered to the portrait on the wall and smiled. Her father would have loved this dress.

"Aemma!" Helaena called out as she knocked on the door. "We are late!"

Mya opened the door and bowed her head as Helaena walked in. She smiled and grabbed Aemma's hands.

"You look beautiful!" She said as she spun Aemma around to get a full look at the dress. "Now, are you trying to make us late?"

"Of course not. Let us go." Aemma smiled and together they walked to the dining hall, hand in hand.

There were hundreds of lords and ladies gathered to celebrate Princess Aemma's nameday. Aemma smiled as she made her way to her seat next to the Queen. Otto sat next to Alicent, Aegon sat beside him with Helaena, and Aemond was next to Aemma, with Daeron next to him.

"The Princess Helaena Targaryen, and Princess Aemma Velaryon, whose nameday we are all here celebrating!" The guard announced, and the room was filled with applause and praise. Aemma smiled and waved, before turning to Alicent.

"Where are the children?" Aemma asked.

"They're a tad young for feasts of this caliber." Otto said, his cold eyes settling on Aemma, who shifted uncomfortably.

"Ah, I see." She looked around the room at everyone who had come to celebrate her. She smiled, but on the inside, she was saddened at her family's absence.

"It appears as though I am your champion." Daeron said with a smile as he leaned forward to talk to Aemma. He had bested everyone, even Ser Criston.

"That gladdens me to hear, though I think it was my favor that helped you win." Aemma smiled as Daeron laughed.

"I think so, too. Perhaps they will knight me after this." He shrugged.

"Well, now we have to celebrate our dear brother's victory!" Aegon said as he filled his cup with wine. Aemma rolled her eyes, recalling the last time she and Aegon drank during a celebration.

"I don't think so, Aegon." Aemma said, not noticing Aemond chuckling to himself. Aegon rolled his eyes and frowned.

"One glass?" He asked. Aemma pursed her lips and nodded. One glass would not do much, at least she hoped.