Prologue

A/N: I'm challenging myself to write longer stories without giving myself deadlines.

What is the meaning of a mum?

Is it a woman in relation to her child or children?

No, a mum isn't just a biological woman who birthed and cared for you, it's a woman who will stay with you in the hospital even though you've just met, it's a woman who who will stroke your hair, tell you it's all going to be okay and just hold you as you cry it all out, it's a woman who loves you and puts you above anything, it's a woman who will drop anything to be with you if you're sick, heartbroken or just need a chat and cuddle, it's a woman who will stay with you and make you feel better after crying, it's a woman adopting and raising you as her own and calling you her daughter no matter who is your biological mother and no matter how old you are.

It's a woman who you call mum without hesitation.

What is the meaning of a dad?

Is it a man in relation to his child or children.

No, a dad isn't just a biological man who helped make and cared for you. It's a man who runs into a burning building with his brother to save a teenager holding onto their dead sibling, it's a man who carries you in his arms out of a burning building, it's a man who stops you from running back into the building, it's a man who holds you as you scream and cry as you watch everything you've ever known burn to the ground, it's man who holds you in his arms on the way to the hospital, with his new wife beside him, it's a man who doesn't let you go as the doctors and nurses try to take you away to get you checked out, if anything he holds onto you tighter, it's a man who sits with his wife beside your hospital bed, watching as you are in a medicated sleep, it's a man who runs his fingers through your hair, gently shushing you, it's a man who holds you after nightmares, it's a man who lets you lash out at him due to your anger at the world, it's a man who leads you into the church, letting you lean and cry against your shoulder, ruining his new suit, it's a man who introduces you as his daughter a few months later after he saved you from that building that destroyed everything for you, it's a man who takes you in and gives you a new family without a seconds hesitation, it's a man who treats you like his own flesh and blood even though you're not, it's a man adopting and raising you as his  own and calling you his daughter no matter who is your biological father and no matter how old you are.

It's a man who you call dad without hesitation.

What is the meaning of a daughter?

I'm Isabelle Katherine Mountbatten-Windsor-Reed and this is my story of  how I met my parents from my point of view and theirs, and how about even though they're not my biological parents, they are my parents.