The shock hits

Isabelle POV

I wake up to the feeling of hands in my hair, something beeping at regular intervals and muffled shouts.

My eyes flutter open and take in the bright white lights on the ceiling. My brain is foggy as I sit up. I look to the side of me and see a woman with brown eyes and brunette hair in a ponytail, a warm smile on her face as our eyes lock together.

I know who it is: but the question is, why is she here?!

Why is Meghan Markle, the Duchess of Sussex, in my hospital room with her fingers in my hair?

"Y..your H.Highness." I say, well croak, weakly as I try to sit up. A hand on my shoulder stops me.

"Hey, don't try to get up, okay? Just stay laying down. You're okay." The Duchess tells me softly, her hand still on my shoulder.

"Duchess, what are you doing here? What's going on?" I ask the royal. My head is in a fog: why can't I remember anything?!

The door to my hospital room opens, and in walks the Duke of Sussex, wearing a black long sleeved t-shirt, jeans and trainers, carrying a tray of coffee, a warm smile on his face.

"Isabelle, how are you feeling?" He asks me kindly as he hands a coffee to his wife who takes it with a smile.

"Okay, I guess, Your Highness." I reply politely, my eyebrows furrow in confusion: why are two members of the Royal Family here and my own family aren't?!

"I don't mean to be rude or anything, Your Highnesses, but what's going on? Why am I here? Why are you here? Where are my parents and little sister?" I ask the married Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who both look at one another, looks of concern on both their faces. It's the Duke who looks at me and places his warm hand on top of my hand that's formed a fist in the thin and scratchy hospital bed sheets that cover me.

"Isabelle, how much do you remember from last night?" The son of the late Princess Diana asks me, looking into my eyes.

Harry POV

I watch as Isabelle thinks about the night her whole world crumbled before her eyes.

"I remember carrying Alice to bed after we watched a Zac Efron movie, before getting into an argument with my parents before going to my room." She says before her eyes go wide with realisation.

"There was a fire, wasn't there?" She asks me and Meghan quietly, almost in a whisper with tears filling her eyes. I nod reluctantly. "And I was the only survivor, wasn't I? Because someone carried me out, didn't they?" She asks me before her body shakes with sobs. Meghan slips off her ballerina flats and sits beside Isabelle on her bed, wrapping her arms around the girl, holding her as she sobs, as the shock hits her.

"I... was h..horrible to my p...parents, I tol..told them I wished they were dead, and now they are!" Isabelle cries into Meghan's neck. My beautiful wife lays her head on top of Isabelle's and closes her eyes.

"It's my fault!" The teenager wails. I find myself getting out of the uncomfortable hospital chair and sit on the other side of Isabelle on her bed and hugging Isabelle and Meghan.

"No, no, it's not your fault, Isabelle, don't even think that it is." I tell the girl firmly. Isabelle just shakes her head against Meghan's shoulder.

We're all quiet, save for Isabelle's sniffles.

"H?" My wife whispers to me, looking at me from over Isabelle's head.

"Yeah, love?" I reply softly. Meghan's brown eyes are full of love for the teenager in our arms.

"Did the fire department find out who killed her family yet?" The fire brigade has been all over Isabelle's house, or what remains of it, and found nothing to suggest foul play.

"They're ruling it as a faulty wire in the fuse box." I tell her, attempting to hide my displeasure with the so-called investigation.

"Harry, there's no way that that fire, the fire that stole the lives of Isabelle's parents, her five year old sister and almost herself, was due to a damn 'faulty wire in the fuse box'!" My wife retorts, angrily. Even though she's downright angry, she keeps her voice quiet and controlled so as to not wake up the fifteen year old that's cried herself to sleep in our arms.

"I know, Meg, but that's what the fire department have said and that's that, there's nothing more we can do for her family, we just have to be there for Isabelle." I tell my wife calmly. Meg takes a deep breath and closes her eyes before opening them and looking down at the not so little girl that's curled into her arms, tears brimming her brown eyes.

"It just sucks that no one is investigating this tragedy that took away her home, her processions and her family in one night." Meghan says softly as she strokes Isabelle's hair. I sigh sadly for my wife and Isabelle before grabbing her hand in mine and squeezing it gently.

I wish there was something more I could do for the girl that's already stolen the other half of my heart that my wife has left unclaimed on purpose.

Meghan POV

I watch as H reluctantly walks out of Isabelle's room with Will in tow, leaving me alone with Isabelle who is asleep in my arms after crying herself to sleep when she remembered the fire that claimed her entire life except for her.

A knock comes on her door and Kate peeks her head around it, a smile on her face.

"Can I come in?" My sister-in-law asks quietly. I nod and she scampers into the room joining me on the bed but not quite touching the sleeping teen.

"How's she doing?" Kate asks me: I sigh, remembering how her body shook with sobs a mere two hours ago.

"As well as can be expected when someone lose their entire family in one night." I tell my husband's brother's wife honestly. Kate nods.

"You'll get her through it, you're one of the strongest women I know." My sister says, placing one of her hands on mine, smiling at me.

"Thanks." I say.

"So do you know what's going to happen to her once she's released from hospital?" I look at her and nod my head slowly, a smile creeping upon my lips.

"H is going to ask her if she wants to stay at Frogmore with us until she reaches 18 then after that it's up to her, but if she doesn't, we're going to have to call Social Services to come take her into the Foster Care System." I hide my snarl when I mention the foster care system.

"Don't worry, Meg, she'll want to stay with you and Harry." Kate reassures me.

I hope so. My mind tells me.

A/N: Sorry for not updating this in a while but my sister is home and I've started my new internship and I'm loving it!

Bye, Angels.