ONE. in which a new challenge rises

[ A THOUSAND LIVES ]
chapter one; in which a new challenge rises

[ A THOUSAND LIVES ]chapter one; in which a new challenge rises

I am telling you, you'll not succeed. I advise you not to waste your time.

TONY STARK HAS A KNACK FOR PRETTY SECRETARIES. First, he had Natalie Rushman, and everyone knows how that turned out. Next, he hires Evelyn Carlson. Evelyn is good at what she does. She knows what Tony needs before he can even say it. She is charming, she is witty, she has more common sense than Tony... perfect for the rich man-child.

The best part is that she came at the perfect time. After the Battle of New York, it's a struggle to keep up with the press, or who wants him at what premiere at what time. Evelyn learns to balance his schedule, even adjusting it without creating a block in the road later on. Evelyn Carlson is a master secretary.

Which is why Tony wants the other Avengers to meet her.

They decide to meet in the conference room, and the billionaire buys coffee for Evelyn and the other superheroes. She notices all of their coffee orders; most of them consist of black coffee with a packet of sugar, an obvious contrast to her caramel macchiato. They are all pleasant; most of them are, anyway. The little redhead seems closed off, more stand-offish compared to the rest of the Avengers.

Thor Odinson just stares at her for a moment while Evelyn flashes him a smile. As she raises her brow, he just extends his hand, watching as the woman accepts the shake. She knows why he had such a hesitant reaction.

The other men, Steve Rogers, Bruce Banner, and Clint Barton, were all polite. They are easy to talk to, easy to create conversation with. Well, Banner seems very shy, but not as pissy as the redhead. Evelyn takes note of it all.

When the coffee break draws to a close, everyone leaves- except Thor and Evelyn. Once Thor made sure everyone had left, he spins around to face the woman in front of him.

"Evangeline," He draws in a deep breath, managing to keep his composure. "What are you doing under the command of Tony Stark?"

"When you word it that way, you make it sound harsher than it actually is. I was curious." Her accent is similar to Thor's. She nearly sounds British. "You're aware that everyone in the galaxy's wondering how the humans defeated the space rats that are known as the Chitauri. You?" She gestures to his chisled body with an open hand. "You defeating them, that makes sense. But them? Thor, you must admit, humans are rather puny. You'd be curious too."

"Go. Home. Do not poke your head in matters that do not concern you."

"Aw, why, 'big brother?' Don't want the little sister to be around while you hang out with the big kids?"

"You are what they call a gossip-spreader, even if what you say is not fully accurate. Do not tell the entire galaxy about this."

Evangeline emits a sigh. "Fine. But you must admit, I'm not wrong for wanting to know. What did you do?"