FIVE. in which a deal is struck

[ A THOUSAND LIVES ]
chapter five; in which a deal is struck

[ A THOUSAND LIVES ]chapter five; in which a deal is struck

You are thinking of Lady Natasha again, correct?

NATASHA HAS GROWN TO BOTH HATE AND LOVE THIS OFFICE. She hates it because it belongs to her. But at the same time, she loves it because it belongs to her. There's this calmness, this blanket of false security in that office. It's both tranquil and chaotic.

Evangeline's legs are crossed, one leg over the other. Watchful eyes scan Natasha, and the redhead suddenly feels like she's on display. "Well?" Her head tilts to the side. "You wanted to meet here."

Evangeline tsks and shakes her head. The low, incessant beeping coming from Natasha's ear reminds Evangeline of a buzzing fly. She knows that humans don't hear it, like how effective dog whistles are only heard by dogs. She stands, her eyes narrowing. She doesn't blink as she circles her desk to stand in front of Natasha. Natasha hates that she has to look up at her.

"Take," Evangeline mouths. "it off."

Natasha cocks her head in faux confusion. "Take what off?" The smugness in her voice is palpable.

The brunette is losing her patience. She flicks off the little comms that had been hiding behind Natasha's ear. It falls to the ground with a quiet clink! Natasha races to reach the comms first, and is surprised when she loses. Evangeline's heel buries itself into the now-broken tech. "Any other tricks?"

Now Natasha is the one losing patience. "Look, I'm done with your stupid games." Her pale hand rests on her gun in its holster.

"Why? 'Cause you're losing?" Evangeline chuckles. "Natasha, I knew you'd wear the comms because I'd do the exact same thing. You're cautious of me. Maybe even scared," She pats the woman on the head. "You're a clever girl."

Her nonchalance is offputting, her overconfidence careless. Natasha knows better than to believe this. Everything Evangeline says and does is calculated. Maybe. Sometimes Natasha wonders if everything is made up along the way and everything is just improv.

"Ask away, Natasha." Evangeline spins on her heels, her back facing the Russian. Natasha considers knocking her out then and there. She decides against it, it's too messy, too much noise. Evangeline returns to her desk, resuming her same inconspicuous position from before. "Maybe I'll give you a truthful answer."

"So, you said you were here for me," Natasha is careful with every syllable that leaves her mouth. "Is that true?"

Evangeline's lips purses as she thinks. "Initially," She chooses to tell the truth. "I came to Earth because I was interested in how you all defeated the Chitauri," She picks at a cuticle. "And then I saw you." She looks up at the standing woman. "And my objective changed."

"What's the objective now?"

"Hopefully get the pretty redhead to realize that she's madly in love with me?"