Chapter 2

Maya's POV
I've been at work for a couple hours now, but something feels off I feel like something is going to happen today, and not in a good way.
I was on my way to the gym to get a workout in before we got called out, when the klaxon went off.
"Engine 19, aid car 19, 24876 duff rd"
Ugh I really needed a workout hopefully this will do.
Devin's POV
I woke up to the smell of smoke and it surrounding me, I was a little dazed at first but then I jumped into action. I immediately grabbed my backpack with all my belongings. I didn't have to grab my softball stuff because I left it in the cage. Once I grabbed my bag I ran downstairs and banged on all the doors and started yelling "FIRE!"
Trying to get everyone else out of the house. Once I got out side of the house I looked around making sure all my friends were out. Right when I stepped outside a fire truck pulled up. Oh shit that's Maya's station.
Before she got out of the truck I ran back in the house to get some younger kids who had not got out yet.
I covered my mouth with my jacket and ran. I stayed low, "Michael!" I yelled "Michael!" I yelled again while running upstairs to his room. That's when I found him laying on the floor still passed out. I picked him up bridal style as I ran back outside. Once I got outside Maya ran up to me, I couldn't read her facial expression but I assumed it wasn't good.
Maya's POV
Omg is that Devin
"Devin! Omg what are you doing here! why the hell would you run back in there!"
She just ran pasted me and took the little boy in her arms to the aid car
"Devin come here!" I yelled bringing a O2 tank for her smoke inhalation.
She walked over to me I made her sit down while I check her burns she kept pulling the O2 mask off.
"Keep that on" I said not looking at her.
After a couple seconds I took a deep breath.
"You said that you were staying at home with dad."I said she stayed silent while looking around.
Devin's POV
I know Maya can help me but I don't want to tell her anything I don't want to bother her.
"Why are you staying here?"
She asks
"Why do you think?" I respond in a matter of fact tone.
"Were you staying with dad when I was at your game last week or did you lie to me then too?" She asks starting to get angry. I just stayed silent.
"ok fine if your not gonna talk to me I won't talk to you, I'll be over there when your ready." She says point to the truck engine. The second Maya walked away I took off running. Once I started running I heard Maya behind me I knew I had to run my ass off to get away from the former Olympian.
Maya's POV
Why the hell is she running I thought as I started running after her.
God damn this kids fast.
After I chased her for about 2 miles I couldn't Keep up, how the hell did she sprint for 2 miles straight.
"DAMN IT!" I yelled finally giving up and coming to a stop when the fire truck pulled up next to me Andy yelling out the window.
"Maya get in the truck we'll find her!" Andy yelled as I walked more like ran towards the truck.
Devin's POV
I can't believe I just out ran Maya, holy shit. She's gonna be on my ass if she finds me. Once I got away from Maya I knew her team would look for me most likely in the truck so I took off the hoodie I was wearing and put on a T-shirt on from my bag and kept my head down while I walked to the cage. I don't think Maya knows where it's at.
Maya's POV
After searching for Devin for awhile we had to head back to the station once I got there I asked Andy to take over for me as captain, which she obviously said yes to. Then on my way out I called Carina to tell her what happened to Devin, I have to look for her.
-ciao, Bella
-hi, beautiful... Um you remember my sister Devin right?
-si, you were at her game the other day.
-yeah umm we were on a call today, a fire at an abandoned house and apparently she was living there with a bunch of other kids.
-oh no I hope the bambina is okay, is she with you now?
-actually after the fire and I checked all her burns and she booked it and now I can't find her.
-oh, are you going to leave? I can call out and help you look.
- you would do that?
-of course bambina I am still at home so we can meet here and then look for her together.
- yes sounds perfect. I'll be home soon, I love you
- I love you too, see you Soon.

Once I got home I immediately went to hug Carina.
"Hi Bella"
"Hello" I say sadly
"We can take my car and look around she doesn't know what it looks like." Carina says
"Ok, thank you" I say kissing her lips
"Your welcome, bambina" she says back.
I'm not sure where she would be so me and Carina just start driving around the city and doing circles we're I stopped running thinking she would be near.
While in the car looking around I was so nervous my leg was bouncing up and down, but carina took notice of this and put her hand on my knee.
"we'll find her Bella, it is going to take some time. Is there anywhere else she could be?" She asks
"Well she probably didn't go back home, and the house she was at is still destroyed so she can't go back there. Actually she might be at the cage she goes there when she's upset."
I say just now realizing how much she was there. I gave Carina the address and eventually we pulled up. She was not outside on the field but I could hear someone hitting inside the cage.

I walked up to the door and took a deep breath Carina looking at me supportively, then I twisted the door knob and walked in. I cannot believe this.
I was so relieved to see her
"Dev!" I said getting her attention
"Took you awhile to find me, huh? I thought for sure you would have found me faster. Actually I'm surprised I made it past you earlier I thought for sure I would get caught."She said with a smirk
"This isn't funny kid, why where you staying there?" I asked while she continued to hit the ball of the T.
"If your just gonna stand there and talk can you put the ball on the T for me?"
( A/N I was gonna say feed but I didn't want people who don't play to be confused)

Devin's POV
After a while I spoke up hating the silence.
"Dad kicked me out... that's why he wasn't at my game and why I was staying at that old house." I said still hitting the ball trying to avoid Maya's gaze.
"Devin why didn't you tell me? I could have helped you, I can help you." She said with tears in her eyes.
Although I'm not good with emotions I could tell this almost broke Maya.

" I didn't want to bother you, I mean you have your own life you don't need me to mess it up." I said as tears started to form in my eyes.

" you would not be a bother at all ever not matter what." She said sincerely

"Plus I kinda got the hang of this homeless thing." I say not being able to handle the tension without making a joke.
"How long have you been kicked out for!?" Maya asks concerned And a little mad.

I stayed silent not looking at Maya when I noticed a taller Italian women next to the door.
"Oh sorry I haven't introduced myself I'm Devin." I say reaching my hand out for her to shake.
"Dev this is Carina, but don't change the subject how long have you been living on your own?" She said sternly as I turned back to face her.
"What month is it?" I asked
"November!" She says
I then looked down at my hands to count with my fingers.
"about 9 months?" I said in a question tone being scared of how Maya would react.
"9 MONTHS!?" She yelled.
I flinched back a little being scared when she raised her voice.
"Y-yeah" I stuttered out
"Ok come on your coming home with us." Maya says trying to usher me out.
"No Maya! I'm not going home with you I would just be a bother." I said shaking it off

"Just come home with us and after a couple days you can decide if you want to stay ok?" She says

"Fine" I said knowing she wasn't gonna take no for an answer.

———————————————————
A/N
Tbh I thought this chapter would take me forever, sorry if there are any typos or mistakes bc I'm to lazy to edit them. Just let me know in the comments and I will fix it also thank you for voting for my book I really thought not a single person would see this. Thank you and enjoy the chapter.