Scared of Losing You (Malleus x GN! Reader)

This is happening just after the events of book 2, so, that's why Malleus knows Y/N (Or Yuu-) sadly, this is going to conflict with the cannon, as we find out that Malleus is not called Tsunotaro/Hornton in book 5. Once again, Malleus may be a bit ooc, because I'm not experienced in writing x readers))

Malleus always looked forward to hanging out with Y/N.  He respected the fact that they were literally the only person who actually treated him like a person and not some God that everyone worships or fears.  However, in his head, this was only because they knew nothing about him.  He thought that if they ever found out, they would look at him the way that other people looked at him:  with fear.  

Obviously, that was the last thing he wanted.  Not because they were his only friend, but because he always felt like a different person around them.  He knew that he was quite fond of the magicless human.  However, he was confused at the fact that whenever he was in their general presence, his heart would skip a beat and feel an urge to see them smile.  Having nothing better to do, he went to consult Lilia about what was going on.

Lilia carefully listened as Malleus described how he felt around Y/N, his grin slowly getting larger as time passed, "Oh, isn't this interesting?  You're in love!"  Lilia stated, happily floating around the room.  

Malleus was practically in shock.  Afterall, how could he, one of the top five mages in the world, fall in love with someone that didn't even use magic.  Would his grandmother approve?  Hell, does Lilia even approve of his feelings?  He turned to ask Lilia, who was just about to teleport away, 

"Call me when the wedding's happening!"  Lilia teased, immediately teleporting away.

Malleus immediately felt relief as soon as those words left his mouth.  That meant he approved. . .  Right?  He decided to just go with thinking that Lilia approved because it's not like he got scolded by him, so, it's not the worst thing he's ever done.  

Not knowing what else to do, he went for a walk to clear his head and to hopefully forget about these feelings.  He also potentially wanted to see Y/N again and hang out with them once more.  Since his feelings of wanting to see them again were extremely strong, his walk ended up being laps in the general direction of Ramshackle dorm.  Unfortunately, a certain magicless prefect noticed him and approached him.  

The two engaged in a friendly conversation until they both lost track of time and eventually it grew dark.  As a result, Sebek found Malleus and was absolutely shocked with how friendly Y/N was being towards him, "Human!  Do you know exactly what you're doing?  How dare you speak to the heir of Briar Valley like that?!  Apologize this instant!"  He yelled.

Y/N looked extremely confused, "Huh?  Hornton/Tsunotaro?  What does he mean by 'heir of Briar Valley?"

Malleus sighed, mentally cursing Sebek, "I said that not knowing my name would be beneficial for you.  This is exactly the reason why.  It is true that I am the heir of Briar Valley, Malleus Draconia."

Y/N was absolutely surprised.  Who wouldn't be after figuring out that one of their closest friends was some prince? "Why keep this a secret?  This would kind of be a good thing to tell me if we're friends."  

"You had no idea who I am. It felt nice not being feared or worshipped by someone. As time continued. . . I grew somewhat fond of you.  If you found out, you may have stopped treating me the way you are now and I didn't want that." 

"That's. . . Understandable."  

Malleus never felt more nervous in his life, "This won't change anything?"  He asked.  Y/N shook their head,

"Although I don't appreciate you hiding that from me, I understand why you did what you did.  I probably need some time, but, I'll still try to treat you the same."  They assured.

Malleus let out a sigh of relief, "I'll let you get some sleep then, child of man."  With that, he disappeared into the night.

Months passed by and things changed.  Now that the secret was out, Malleus opened up the slightest bit more, allowing the pair to get closer together.  Y/N was thankful for that since Malleus had that wall built up and they could sense he was hiding something.  They could even say that they themselves was starting to develop feelings for their friend but constantly kept in mind their places.  He was Briar Valley's heir and they were just randomly isekai'd into the world.  How would marriage even work?  Wait, marriage?  Okay, maybe the crush wasn't as little as Y/N made it out to be.  Sometimes they would look out the window and hope that Malleus was around just so that they could see him again or talk to him again.

The pair somehow managed to hide their feelings very well.  Probably because of the fact that both of them refused to talk about themselves, fearing that they might let it slip.  However, to everyone else, it was the most obvious thing in the world.  Many people have tried to plan ways for the two to confess to each other, each one failing miserably. Eventually people just gave up and decided to let things naturally happen.

Y/N was hanging out with Malleus and decided to ask a question, "Hey, Malleus?  Remember when you said you were somewhat fond of me?  Do you like me more now?"  It was supposed to be a joke.  However, Malleus thought Y/N was being serious,

"I do."

"Awwww that's nice, I also like you a lot more."  Y/N just realized what they said and panicked, "I mean, as a friend-" 

It was now Malleus's turn to be confused, "Child of man, why would you add that second part?  of course I know we're just friends."

"Right, right, of course."

With that, the rest of the hangout was silent with Malleus still wondering why Y/N panicked.  Eventually, he headed back to his dorm to consult Lilia once more.

Lilia just laughed, "Okay, how do you feel about letting Y/N know about your little crush on them?"  He asked,

"Out of the question.  Things may get awkward."

"Okay. . . So, that's how most people feel about these things. If you think about it, people may start to overthink that the slightest misstep may reveal everything.  That's why the 'as a friend' part got added in so hurriedly."  Lilia explained.

Malleus thought for a moment, "What am I supposed to do, then?"

"Tell them how you feel.  The worst thing that could happen would be what happened last time you kept a secret.  Things worked out well the first time, no?" Lilia assured.

Malleus sighed and once again took a walk, bringing him back to Ramshackle.  Fortunately for him, Y/N had spotted him and walked over.

"Do you need anything?"  Y/N asked.  It was rare for Malleus to be back so soon.

Malleus just wanted to get confessing over with, "Months ago.  When I didn't tell you who I was, there was another reason."

"I thought we moved past that situation already.  But, what was your last reason for not telling me?"

"That fondness I was talking about. . . It was love.  I didn't want to lose your company because of that."

"Oh. . . OH. . . W H A T?!"  Y/N couldn't believe their ears, ". . . Well. . . my turn to admit somethi-"  Malleus cut them off,

"You didn't mean the 'as friends' part earlier, did you?"

". . . I didn't mean that.  How did you even know?"

"Lilia told me."

Y/N was now officially scared of Lilia. Who knows what else that Fae figured out, "Well, what now?  We won't last long together.  Remember, I got Isekai'd here randomly."

Malleus shrugged, "Are you underestimating my ability?  I'll find a way to make it work."

"Right. . ."

"Now then, child of man, would you have the honour of being my partner?"

". . . You already know my answer-"

Malleus let out a rare smile, "Of course, I do."