𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐨 -𝐑𝐢𝐬𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐧𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬-

ᴘʀᴏɴᴜᴄɪᴀᴛɪᴏɴ

ᴄʜɪᴀʀᴀ

(ᴋᴇʏ-ᴀʀ-ᴀʜ)

ᴄʜɪ

(ᴋᴇʏ)

Jamanakai Village was peaceful, tucked away in the corner of the world where nothing interesting ever tended to happen. I knew it was a good thing that the village was like this.

As Dad always tells me, "Quiet and boring means safe." My parents wanted nothing more than for me to be safe and away from the world's prying eyes, and even though it was for the best, I couldn't help but get annoyed with the same monotonous routine that was my life.

I was working the counter at the Bakery, and as always, the regular customers got their morning delectables and wished me a good day. I sighed when another customer left, my happy attitude fading.

It's not that I didn't like working at the Bakery; I loved seeing people from the village enjoying my mother's (and occasionally my) treats. But it felt like my days were on a constant loop, and the urge for something different filled me.

I wanted to travel, to see more than what the tiny village had to offer me. But I knew it wouldn't happen anytime soon. My parents were only getting older, and soon they wouldn't be able to fend for themselves, and even though they encouraged me to follow my dreams, I couldn't abandon them. It wouldn't be right, considering how they took me in when I was.

The chime of the bell rang, and I straightened, forcing a smile to my lips. The fake persona quickly faded when a familiar head of short black hair appeared, and I slumped back onto the counter.

"Oh, it's just you, Nya," I noted, chuckling slightly at the way her nose scrunched in fake offense.

"Wow, I feel so loved," Nya remarked, walking up to the counter. "What's got you so depressed, Chi?" She inquired, poking my head with her finger.

Chi was a nickname Nya gave me a couple of days after we first met. According to her, it was too much work to say my full name, and after that, it stuck. I swatted at her hand, and she laughed, amused by my annoyance.

"I'm just now realizing that my life is extremely uninteresting," I informed, lazily lifting my head to meet her gaze. She scoffed, flicking my forehead.

"What was that for!" I muttered, shooting Nya a playful glare as I rubbed the afflicted spot.

"You're not serious. You're a secret supernatural being with wings that works undercover at a Bakery. If that's not interesting, I don't know what is." I snorted, my eyebrows lifting at her answer.

"You make it sound like I'm some kind of spy," I commented, leaning against my hand. "Anyways, I can think of one thing that's more interesting." Nya tilted her head as I paused, and a teasing smirk rose on my lips. "The super secret project you refuse to tell me anything about." I finished slyly. She shook her head, a familiar look flashing across her eyes.

"Sorry, but that information is confidential," Nya repeated for the hundredth time, bopping me on the nose. I let out a breath, once again shooting her a playful glare.

"Are you ever gonna tell me?" I wondered with an exasperated groan.

"Yes," I thought she would say more, but she stayed silent, her chocolate hues flashing in amusement at my hidden frustration.