Chapter Four

Terracotta hid in her room as Tualang and Taproot yelled at each other outside in the main space, raising their voices so loud even the neighbors could hear them.

I hate it, I hate it, I hate it, she thought to herself quietly, rocking back and forth on her talons, mumbling to herself and hoping it would drown out the awful sounds of her parent's thunderous voices. But disappointingly it came to no avail. She could hear every single word their snouts uttered—and most of it was about her.

"WHY is she so DIFFERENT!?" Tualang yelled from outside Terracotta's door, "Tell me, Taproot. Who's fault is it? Your genes? She's not mine, for sure!"

Taproot moaned with anger. "Not YOURS!?" he retorted. "We had her together, she is our child Tua! And there is nothing wrong with our child. She's merely...unique." Terracotta winced at the pain in her father's voice at the word 'unique.' She knew she wasn't normal. She knew no one could accept her the way she was—but she absolutely hated it when being herself made her parents argue. It's okay dad, she thought. I'm fine, I'll get better when I'm older, I'm sure! Terracotta buried her head in her talons and sobbed softly, tears making little splatters on the lenses of her glasses.

"Terracotta. Unique." Tualang said slowly, as if Taproot was a child to be scorned. "Terracotta is ruining my reputation—she can't even get a job at the market for moons sake! How will she make a living, make a family? She could never have a family Tap. She's broken in the head! Broken!"

Taproot growled. "My daughter is not broken. She will find a job and she will meet someone. I'm sure of it."

Terracotta could hear the rising hostility in her mother's voice and she didn't like it. "Oh, so now she's your child, hmm?" she snapped cooly. "After all this mumbo-jumbo about how I need to appreciate her, how I should 'like' her more, how we raised her together, now she's YOUR child? What kind of liar are you!?"

"Tualang, please—" Taproot sounded pleading as he muttered Tua's name. Terracotta wished she could see her mother's face—wished with all her might it would be filled with love and support, and soon tell Taproot that she loved him and their daughter more than anything in the world. But of course, her mother's response was negative.

"I am so fed up." Tualang said simply. "SO fed up. I'm leaving for a while—If anyone asks, tell them I'm out hunting." Terracotta listened as angry talonsteps left the house, large wingbeats thrumming into the air, getting faster and further away—until there was nothing. A bird of paradise twittered in the tree outside Terracotta's wide window, mourning softly and gently, as if all it wanted was to console her. What a beautiful creature she thought, sighing. It needs a beautiful name... Terracotta thought for a while, then whispered under her breath "Twitter. Your name is twitter, yes?" she giggled softly as the bird hopped around on the branch and flew away. What wonderful creatures. she thought. So pure and sweet and agreeable. I wish I was agreeable, like my parents want me to be. Terracotta looked up just as her father entered her room without knocking, a sad smile caressing his features. "Hey Terra-ific," he said, settling down on the grass blankets beside her. Terracotta tittered, despite herself. Her dad always made the weirdest nicknames up for her—Terrable, Terrafying—but Terraific was her favorite. "Hello father, yep yep," she said, fiddling with the bridge of her glasses.

"Your eyes are blue." Taproot noted.

Terracotta looked down, wishing she couldn't show her emotions so easily.

"Listen—I'm really sorry." Taproot said, a note of pain in his voice, "I'm sure you heard all that, with your wonderful little ears. Your mother is going to be gone for a small while, and I thought you should know I'm going to the market—the weaving and fruit departments need me!" but Terracotta knew her dad just wanted to get away from her, get some time by himself.