Chapter Five

Over the next few days, rumors of Terracotta's vision spread like wildfire. Terracotta knew Banana was known to talk, but she hadn't realized how big the consequences would be. The morning her mother came back, Tualang yelled at her for three hours straight about how disgraceful she was, and how she should have kept her powers to herself. "What have I been telling you all these years!?" She had shouted. "No one needs to know! Do you have any IDEA what you've done to my stature!? I knew you were just a useless, stupid dragonet with a snapped mind! What is WRONG with you!?"

What is wrong with you. Terracotta had a feeling those words would never go away, would plague her throughout the rest of her life. "I'm sorry mother!" she had said, shaking. "I was merely trying to fit in like you wanted me to."

"Well you did an AMAZING job, Terracotta!" Tualang snapped. "I'm sure weird, mental 'prophecy dragons' fit in JUST FINE, wouldn't you agree!?"

Terracotta ducked, tears streaming from underneath the lenses of her glasses. "I...you implied that I must have job, I was just..."

Tualang snorted and shook her wings out, getting ready to leave the house, probably to stop by Taproot's market to scream at him as well. "Shut your snout, girl," she said harshly. "Go 'work', if that's what you call working. I'll have no part of it. If anyone asks, tell them your my niece."

Terracotta burst into loud sobs as her mother took off from the balcony in the main room. She buried her head in her maroon and purple talons, her body shaking uncontrollably as she cried.

Eventually, Terracotta looked up to be welcomed by the sound of clumsy flapping wings, and an eye-burning purple color, signature look of Allspice.

"HELLOOO...Terra?" Allspice landed immediately, realizing Terracotta was upset. "Your face is red—were you crying? Actually, your face is always red; that's the color of your scales. Um, never mind?"

Despite her sadness, Terracotta had to laugh. "Oh wonderful dragon," she said, smiling up at her best friend. "How did I ever happen upon meeting you?"

Allspice blushed. "Yeah, I know, I'm SUPER amazing," she said grinning. "But seriously, you need to come over to the market square." Allspice beckoned hurriedly with her talon.

"Why on earth am I required for this?" Terracotta wondered out loud, reluctantly rising from her spot on the floor.

"Because!" Allspice said impatiently, lifting off from the balcony. "Your prophecy shop has a LINE, Terracotta! A line!! Like, a total, actual line! Did you hear I said a—"

"Yes, yes yes!" Terracotta cut her off, flapping gracefully into the air beside her friend. "I heard what you said." Despite her reaction, Terracotta's heart was actually pounding as they flew through the bright green trees of the Rainforest Kingdom. Could it be that Banana's prophecy made other dragons want to come? How odd. Terracotta and Allspice entered the large clearing of the RainWing market, marveling at the humongous line the stand had created. A few dragons looked quite displeased due to the fact that nobody was in the shop, and a few were grumbling to themselves, leaving the line impatiently.

"Whoa," Terracotta whispered in wonder, landing gracefully outside her stand. Allspice crashed down next to her and immediately bounced back up, brushing the dirt off her scales. "Go on!" she whispered. "Just make sure you don't...you know."

Terracotta ducked her head, entering the stand, the honeysuckle vines sweeping gently around her wings. Make sure you don't warn them about death, she thought, finishing Allspice's sentence. Even if they or their family are in mortal danger. Terracotta sighed, settling behind the upturned basket and softly calling the first dragon in.