paradise found | eight

next two chapters: outing, homophobia, please read at your own discretion

February 28th was the third time Yoongi had been almost discovered. The following day, February 29th had turned out worse because Yoongi had been caught.

It had turned out to be the worst days of Yoongi's life.

Almost two weeks after he'd accepted his spot at Northeastern, the admission letters came in the mail, and Yoongi's parents had gotten to them before Yoongi had arrived to keep it from them.

Yoongi should have realized that his parents would reign hellfire as soon as they figured out that Yoongi had decided to accept admission into another school. If there were hell on Earth, it had to be at his parent's house, with his parents being Lucifer and Lilith themselves, raining down their might on Yoongi whenever they deemed appropriate.

"When were you going to tell us?"

Yoongi was quiet as he entered the living room. His parents were sitting on the couch, expressions unreadable. His father clutched the letter of Admissions in his hand— the intensity of it crunching the otherwise smooth paper material. Yoongi adjusted his backpack over his shoulder, shrugging. This alone caught his parents in a fit of anger, and his mother burst into tears, though Yoongi made no move to comfort her.

"You're constantly disobeying us, Yoongi," his father said. Yoongi refused to look at them, only spiking more anger from his father. "You look at us when we're talking to you! We're your parents. Take a seat so when can talk. As a family."

"Y'all should be congratulating me," Yoongi said, begrudgingly taking a seat. "I'm going to be in Northeastern for the next four years. Any other parents would be leaping with joy. Got pretty good money from them too."

"Children usually listen to their parents' wishes for college, but I guess we aren't that type of family anymore, Yoongi," his father remarked, boring deadly stares into Yoongi's direction. "You withdrew from Notre Dame, told us you were thinking about going to BC, and suddenly you're going to Northeastern? Out of all the schools you could have chosen to go to, you decided to go to the one school that the gay decided to go to?"

A surge of resentment bubbled through Yoongi, but he kept his calm, saying, "Northeastern was my top school for years. I abandoned it because you wanted me to go to the same university as you. Whether or not Hoseok is going is a different story, but—"

"He is going, though," his father interrupted. "Isn't he?"

Yoongi ignored him. "You always want me to do what you want. I wouldn't be happy at Notre Dame. I wouldn't be happy at Boston College, either. You can't just expect me to be okay with the decisions you made for me. Northeastern has what I want to study. I want to be in the Criminal Justice department. I'm sorry I am looking out for my well-being and happiness for once instead of trying to please you two all the time."

"How could you say that?" his mother wailed, bursting into louder tears. "You're our son. We know what's best for you! You're not thinking clearly, Yoongi. Please tell me you haven't sent anything to them. Tell me that you can still change this decision."

Yoongi shook his head. "I already paid the deposit. Come the fall, I will be at Northeastern, whether you support me or not."

"You won't receive any support from us," his father stated, slamming the paper on the coffee table. "Choosing what college you go to is a huge decision. I can't believe you would do something this heartbreaking to us. You know we can't support you going to Northeastern. Any other university I can get around to but Northeastern? You can't."

"It's not for you to decide," Yoongi snapped, crossing his arms. "I'm going to Northeastern whether you like it or not. I'm not withdrawing."

"Give me the keys to your car," his father said, voice unrelenting. Yoongi's expression morphed into confusion. "Your car keys. Now. If not, your phone is next."