24. Advanced Potion Making

Persephone never cared much for her birthday - not least because it probably wasn't actually her birthday; it was an estimated date of birth assigned to her by muggle doctors after she was found. She had never taken much to celebrating it, nor did Severus celebrate his, so she hadn't expected anything; she was pleasantly surprised, then, when both Severus and Abbie surprised her with the greatest gift she could have asked for: them.

They spent the day together, just sitting comfortably, watching films and getting into heated discussions about them. In the evening, Abbie left to go back to the Burrow, leaving Persephone and Severus alone again. She thought that was it, but Severus had one more surprise for her; he excused himself too, promising to return at eight, and he instructed her to dress up to go out for dinner.

In all the years Persephone had known Severus, including when they were spying, he had never invited her out. They always spent time together privately, and had only ever gone to two parties together. She was curious as to what he had planned, and was both intrigued and excited when he arrived back in her living room, wearing smart, black (of course) dress robes.

"Well, don't you look handsome," Persephone said with a smirk, and Severus blushed slightly when he saw her wearing a one-shoulder blue dress and heels.

"And you look stunning," he replied with a smile. "Are you ready?"

Persephone took his proffered arm and he apparated them away. They appeared outside, on solid ground, overlooking a large lake. Persephone looked around, recognising the spot she had escaped to for peace and quiet so many times at school.

"Is this...?" she asked, even knowing the answer.

"The place from your memory? Yes."

Severus took her by the hand and turned her slightly so she faced away from the lake. In the middle of the flat rock was a small table, decorated and set for two. Severus pulled out a chair for her before sitting across from her. On cue, two large glasses of red wine appeared on the table.

"I took the liberty of selecting the wine, but you can have anything else if you'd prefer," Severus said. "Dumbledore has allowed us the service of the castle elves for this evening."

"And I suppose we have him to thank that we could apparate here?"

"Indeed."

"Well, at least the old man's good for something." Persephone picked up her class and raised it. "Cheers."

"To you, my love," Severus said, and they both drank. An elf appeared to take their food orders, then they were left alone again, shyly holding hands across the table as if they were teens on a first date.

"I can't believe you put this all together," Persephone said with a smile. "You know I would have been happy with eating takeaway in our pyjamas."

"Any other day, perhaps. But I'm not sure when I can see you before September - I want to make the most of it."

"Are you looking forward to it? Your new job?"

Severus' mouth thinned slightly as he considered the question. "I suppose. It will be a nice change of pace, even if I am teaching the same dunderheads. I don't expect any of them to be any smarter in Defence than they are in Potions. Mostly, I'm looking forward to not having Wormtail hiding around every corner; I can see you and Abbie in peace. In fact, I did have an idea - perhaps, if I were to connect the fireplace in my chambers to the floo network, you could come and go as you please. That way, even if I'm elsewhere or I have someone in my office... you could still share my bed every night. If you want to, of course."

Persephone cocked her head to the side, a knowing smirk on her face. "Severus, are you asking me to move in with you?"

Severus blushed. "Not move in per se - I suspect it might attract attention if you were to eat in the Great Hall - but perhaps if, at the end of the day, instead of retiring at your house, you wanted to retire to my chambers instead..."