41. A Moment of Peace

A little over a week had passed since the engagement had been announced in the Prophet. Abbie distracted herself largely by helping Snape with administrative tasks, preparing the castle for the new year and avoiding the other teachers as they slowly filtered back into the castle. Fortunately, the Death Eaters that had been hired to fill the vacant positions hadn't shown up yet. Abbie wasn't particularly anxious to meet them - both Snape and Draco had told her they were particularly nasty pieces of work, and precisely the type of muggle-hating blood supremacists the engagement was designed to placate.

Abbie and Snape had carefully planned how to approach each teacher and talk them into accepting his leadership, and they both agreed that one professor in particular was going to be especially challenging.

McGonagall was still in her travelling cloak when she approached Abbie in the corridor.

"Miss Payne, good morning. I don't suppose you have the password to the Headmaster's office? Our esteemed new leader appears to have forgotten to inform the staff of the change of password."

"Hello, Professor. Yes, I do, but unfortunately I can't share it with anyone. Headmaster's orders."

McGonagall's nostrils flared. "Perhaps you misunderstood him, Miss Payne. I'm sure Professor Snape meant you weren't to share the password with any students - staff always have access to the Headmaster's office in case of an emergency."

"His fireplace is open to staff offices for notes if it's an emergency, but he's certain there's nothing he can do that a faculty of highly-skilled sorcerers can't do themselves."

"Would you care to speak to me in your own words, Miss Payne, or does your position as Head Girl leave you only capable of parroting your father's words?"

"Any complaints about Professor Snape's running of the school can be made in writing through the floo network. Excuse me, Professor." Abbie went to side-step McGonagall, but as expected, she wouldn't take no for an answer, and blocked Abbie's path.

"Miss Payne... whatever misplaced loyalty you may have to your father must be set aside. In the light of his actions, I think it would be rather acceptable and in fact preferred if you did."

Abbie looked at McGonagall with her best blank, uninterested expression.

"Thank you for your unsolicited input, Professor, but I am an adult now and I can make my own decisions."

"You are blinded by your devotion!"

"Is there a problem here?" said a familiar silky voice as Snape emerged from the shadows.

McGonagall stuck her nose up at her new boss, her jaw tight.

"Ah... Headmaster." She spat the word out as if she had trouble saying it. "Fortuitous timing as always. It appears you forgot to inform the staff of your office password and Miss Payne is being slightly elusive with revealing it."

"As she should be," Snape said coolly, placing his hand on Abbie's shoulder in a show of support. "The password is mine to share, Minerva, not Abigail's. There's very little point in having a password if all and sundry are able to share it, is there not? As it is, I had knowledge of your arrival and I was just this moment on my way to you. Come, we have much to discuss."

Without waiting for a response, Snape turned and strode back in the direction of his office, McGonagall following in his wake. Abbie considered following them, but she knew this was going to be a difficult conversation, and something Snape had to do alone.

Severus and Minerva were silent as he led her up to his office. He spoke the password clearly, letting Minerva know in no uncertain terms that he was allowing her the password - he was allowing it, not Abbie. He had to establish his authority quickly and without hesitation, and so it was important that Abbie, the one person others would expect him to give some leniency to, was seen to bow to his authority.