An agonizing scream tore through her throat as the sword pierced her side. The man who had stabbed her then froze, falling to the ground with a thump. Painfully, the girl looks up to see her worst enemy, his own sword stained with the blood of his peer. "Why did you save me?" she asks in disgust. He then kneels down and takes off his helmet, leaning close. As their lips almost brushed, he spoke, "because you are for me to kill, darling." She pecked his lips before taking the sword from her body and slicing the head off of an enemy behind her lover. The only sounds heard was war, the clash of metal a-

-

"Good book?"

What? I shake my head and look up at the boy across from me as he looks at the road. Marking the page with a pink mark, I shut the book with a loud clap. "Yes, it was." I take a deep breath. "Before you ruined it!" My fist collides with his shoulder, receiving a dismissing wave.

"Watch it! You're going to make me crash, " he shouts back, his words broken by bubbling laughter. I nod in agreement, leaning against the door. "Why would you interrupt her if you don't want to get hit?" A voice sasses from the back seat. "Because we're almost there, dumbass." Instead of responding, I see a white boot thump against the windshield next to his head. "Hey!" he swerves slightly, passing me the shoe so he can focus more on the road.

 I turn around to see the culprit, his sister. She and Maggie, look worlds apart. She has pale skin and freckles littered across her round face, with bright and curly hair. Whereas Maggie has a honey complexion with straight black hair. Their color schemes, clothing wise, don't help their case either.

"What?" I realize I've been staring and throw the shoe at her, hitting dead smack on the forehead. "Magnus, she hit me!" "Girl's, play nice" I catch his eyeroll out of the corner of my eye and snicker.

 A small, rusty, bug car pulls into the school as we do. "I really don't want to go today" I drag out. "What is it? " He asks, glancing over at me "Santiago is there, why not just skip? " I kick at the floorboards. His hand on my wrist catches my attention. "I already drove you here, I don't care about your math teacher. You're staying" He lets me go to get out of the car, only to come around and swing the passenger door open. "Your highness." "Oh, why thank you, sweet jester" I hold out my hand limply to emphasize my sarcasm. He offers a bow, taking the hand to kiss and pull me out. Selena makes a gagging sound as she steps out, walking around us. "You guys are so cringey." "Alright that's enough, get your asses inside."

As we walk, my eyes trail to Maggie. His hair was up in a messy bun, some of the dark hairs sticking to the sweat on his face. He, apparently, thought it would be a good idea to wear a wifebeater with a zip up hoodie and sweatpants. "Nice outfit Mr. cool guy" He rolls his eyes and bumps me to the side with his arm. I gasp and send a glare his way, ramming into his side so he'll stumble.

I push open the front gate and walk down the hall, Maggie staggering in behind me. But of course, the torture must go on. Mrs. Santiago is standing in front of her classroom, asking for the full names and schedule of kids she has known all year. "Mags, can we just skip first period in the bathroom" I ask. After those words leave my lips, I see his tall shadow next to mine, before he drags me off to the gender-neutral toilets.

Once on my own two feet, I look up to see a couple making out on the counter. The girl screeches and throws her bag at Maggie, who swats it away and backs out of the room with his hands in surrender. I shield my eyes, feeling for the purse and setting it on the sink when I find it. The door closes with a loud creak behind me.

 Maggie wipes non-existent sweat off his forehead dramatically. "I almost died!" he screeches, shaking me back and forth. "Yeah, yeah, let's go drama queen" I squeeze his arm to steady myself. Pushing open the girl's bathroom once I'm sure I'm okay. "That's drama king to you" he corrects pointedly.

I roll my eyes for him to see and hop up onto the counter, setting my bag down and reaching into it. After feeling around, I toss him a pen and marker, then reach in and pull out another book. Maybe if he draws on his hand long enough, we might make it to lunch.