Prolouge

Quick A/N:

This story is inspired by a fan-made comic by the name of "Goodbye". I do not know who created it, but credits go to them. (I will try to find the original author/artist and credit them)

Also a quick TW: Detail upon someone being shot aswell as a description of blood and death

____________________________________

The group were becoming weaker now, sloppiness haunting each action they made. "It's okay! I'll handle this!" Amy roared, sluggishly swinging her hammer at the agents. "It's no use Amy!" Rouge called, using her wings to fly up in the air and drop kicking those below her.

Sonic and Shadow had been surrounded, the hedgehogs now back-to-back. Shadow turned to Sonic. "We must go!" He insisted "We can't Shads!" Sonic pointed it, dodging a gunshot, Shadow doing the same. "Chaos Spear!" Shadow shouted, a chaos spear hitting each agent around them. Sonic sighed, turning to the hedgehog. "Thank Chaos you're thinking straight." He joked, immediately shoving both himself and Shadow out of the way of even more gunfire.

The two pounced back into action, everyone busying themself with the fight. "There's too many!" Knuckles shouted as three of them jumped on top of him, only to be flung as Knuckles stood back up. "Just keep fighting guys!" Sonic called.

Suddenly, loud gunshots were head. Bang. Bang. Bang. Bang. The group turned to the source, Shadow was facing them, gaping holes within his abdomen. His eyes widened as he looked down, blood fleeing from the confines of his veins, exiting through his mouth and gunshot wounds.

_______________________________________

"Did you get him?" A voice asked "Yes, shot him in every place that was labelled weak." An agent replied. "Good, tell them to retreat. We can do the rest later." The voice commanded.

_____________________________________

Sonic ran to the hedgehog, catching him just before he fell. "Shadow!" He cried "Shadow it's okay - You'll be okay!" He turned to the rest of the gang, who had gathered around. "Tails! Get the medkit!" He placed his hand out as he looked back at Shadow "I SAID GET THE MEDKIT!" He shouted upon not recieving the white case. He turned to his brother, tears running down his face as he shook his head.

"I didn't bring it - I couldn't-" Tails broke down crying, hugging Knuckles as he too cried lightly. Sonic's breath hitched. The soldiers were now retreating back to their respective vehicles now, not that it mattered. "No... I can- I'll run home! I can get it and-" Sonic began rambling "No..." Shadow hissed in pain, looking up at Sonic.

"Sonic... you wouldn't make it in time. Your speed cannot slow down the inevitable, no matter how..." Shadow began breathing heavily, coughing up blood. Sonic hugged Shadow. "I'll be Quick! I will! I'm faster than light!" Sonic reasoned through tears. Shadow shook his head before going to peck Sonic's lips. "Just stay... I'd rather die near you." Shadow muttered as his eyes glossed over.

Sonic rested Shadow's head on his lap. "Don't talk like that... you'll live! You always do! You have been crushed and..." He stopped talking as he looked into Shadow's eyes, life barely being recognisable within his ruby eyes. "It's okay to cry..." Shadow muttered as the last ounce of life left him and he released his last breath.

Sonic's eyes widened, the group lowering their heads as tears left everyone's eyes. "Tails... please tell me you're joking." Sonic muttered, eyes glued to his now deceased lover. Tails walked over, examining Shadow's ribcage. "He's gone Sonic... we can't bring him back... by the time I get home it will have been over 6 minutes..." Tails teared up.

"YOU'RE LYING!" Sonic shouted, tightening his grip on Shadow. "YOU'RE JUST A KID! YOU DONT KNOW HOW DYING WORKS! I'VE SEEN IT! I'VE EXPERIENCED IT!" Sonic screamed as he was picked up by Knuckles, said echidna throwing Sonic over his shoulder. "I'll call an ambulance." Rouge whispered, her eyes never leaving the ebony hedgehog.

______________________________________

Sonic still couldn't process what had happened. "I know it's hard Sonic... we all miss him." Amy sighed "But you should look your best! You know what Shadow would want for you." She proceeded to tye his tie as she lectured him through a stream of tears. Sonic looked away. "If I had stayed by him... maybe I could have saved him.."

Sonic had been rethinking the whole situation in his head for the past few weeks, trying to find a solution, something that would have prevented this. He couldn't find a way, no matter how hard he thought it through. It was as if even despite the hope, Shadow was just meant to die.

Amy put her hands on sonic's shoulders, her eyes staring into Sonic's. "Nothing could have prevented this. Don't blame yourself. We all had a part to play. Let's just live how he would want us to live... happy." She reassured, hugging the hedgehog. "Just tell me if you don't feel good or if you just need help." Sonic nodded. "Thank you Amy." He said as she walked out, the pink hedgehog turning back and nodding at him "No problem, Sonic. Don't thank me."

________________________________________

"Have you retrieved what I asked for?"

"Yes, the ceremony finished awhile ago."

"Good, bring him to me. There is a lot to do before we can begin our little... investigation."

"We are on our way, sir."