~7~

Rouge almost burst into tears as she entered the room. She gasped as she looked at her former 'brother' - they referred to eachother as siblings despite not being related - and made her way over. She inspected his face for a few moments, ultimately hugging him when she inferred it was Shadow.

"He doesn't remember..." Tails reminded as the hedgehog shoved the now hurt looking bat away. Rouge just shook her head "Can't you make him?" She asked in a course whisper. Tails shrugged "I'd have to take memories from everyone." The fox explained "I've already started on Sonic's but I don't really wanna review the files..." he awkwardly laughed. "I'll happily do it." Sonic offered. Tails just rolled his eyes "I'd appreciate that." He muttered "Rather nor but into what you and..." Tails then indicated to the ebony hedgehog talking to Rouge "We're doing."

"Nothin' bad, Tails." Sonic reassured "We only annoyed a few people.... maybe a little too many-" Tails brought a hand to his temple, rubbing it slightly. "Nevermind, Sonic." He sighed at the other before walking back to his machinery "I would like to do a few tests before I insert loads of memories into Shadow though." Sonic nodded "Maybe take lesser memories like a group one - or atleast one where he can remember all our names?" Sonic suggested.

"I was thinking of that." Tails agreed "I can extract a few of my own like this so even if you two were.... he wouldn't be able to know since its through my eyes!" He smiled. Sonic smiled back "Thanks bud!" He said as he ruffled Tails' hair, who wasn't amused by this as he then restyled his hair with an annoyed huff. Tails then began sorting out a rather recent machine Sonic understood to be the 'memory extractor' as Tails called it.

Tails took a seat on the small stool and and began telling Sonic what to do. "When that little light begins flashing, press the button and flick that switch. When you want to stop the memory, do the same thing and the light will stop flashing. The memory will appear on that little screen infront of you!" He called, putting on the headset when Sonic gave a thumbs up.

Rouge, Amy and Shadow had since left and gone into the living room to talk more about who Shadow was - amongst other things - and how each of them met.

Sonic jumped as a small, green light began flashing above the screen. He swiftly pressed the button and flicked, what looked like, a light switch Tails had glued into a hole - he hoped that wasn't his light switch. The screen then flicked on, flashing a little at first, before a memory began to play. Sonic remembered this day dearly - the day he had confessed to Shadow.

___________________________________

*Flashback*
2nd Of August, 4 years ago at 12:07

Cream and Tails had began making a city of sandcastles, drawing a large circle where they would build a wall to protect their city. "You start on the houses." Tails commanded "I'll make the wall and supports for it." Cream nodded, running to her beach towel in a full piece light blue swimsuit with a white skirt attached to fetch her orange bucket and spade.

Tails watched as she ran close to the ocean and fetched a buckets-worth of wet sand. He then occupied himself with drawing small squares around the outer circle to act as a support guide.

"Hey buddy!" Sonic grinned, interrupting Tails' work. "Hey Sonic!" He smiled back. "What ya doin'?" "Oh me and Cream are building a sand city!" Tails explained, indicating the the large circle Sonic probably could lay down in. "I better get a statue in there." Sonic smirked. Tails rolled his eyes smirking "Nah, you aren't a founder of the town." Tails then stuck his tounge out. Sonic shook his head, smiling. "Fine, I will no longer protect that town." "The wall I'm gonna build will do that." Tails pointed out his beginner markings of the wall.

Cream then made her way back, placing the bucket outside of their line. "Thanks Cream! I'll get us more when we run out." Taios smiled, taking a handful and moulding it into the base of the wall.

Knuckles was in his usual vocal sparring match with Rouge. Rouge had lost her sunglasses - or something silly like that - and had immediately turned to blame the red echidna despite his denile of doing so, suggesting that she may have dropped them nearby. The bat wasn't having this however, bringing poor Silver into the situation.

Amy and Blaze were far away from the drama, by the water; chasing waves and splashing one another with water. The two were wearing matching two-pieced swimsuits, Amy donning a purple and lavender one and Blaze wearing a pink and red one.

Whilst the two played, Sonic did his best to dodge every droplet of water heading his way. He succeeded for a little, only to be pushed into the water with a face full of sand by a smirking Shadow. Sonic was clearly coughing a little, shouting just audible profanities at the other, who giggled.

Tails attention was quickly brought back to the wall he was building as Cream threw a small amount of sand at Tails. He was dry however, causing the sand to slide of with a quick pat. He glared at the rabbit as she pretended to mind her own business with a smirk. "Coulda just said concentrate!" Tails sulked, knowing if he threw sand back Vanilla would reprimand him for being rude to a lady - a pointless rule in Tails' eyes.

_____________________________________

Sonic noticed his breath quicken and shake slightly as he saw him and Shadow in the corner of Tails' eyes. He could almost feel the same amount of joy and annoyance he had felt at that very moment. He coukd even feel the icy coldness of the water seeping through his fur. He shuddered at the thought, pressing the button with a wince. He wished he could be back there, enjoying his very little time with Shadow.

Tails laughed as he took of the head piece. "I don't think Rouge has forgiven Knuckles for that yet." Sonic stiffled a laugh with a huff "Probably not." He agreed "Might've finally found out he stamped on them accidentally and chucked them in the ocean before she could see." Tails nodded "Maybe that's why she kicked him out the other night." Sonic shrugged "I don't think she's that petty." Tails just shrugged, clicking his tounge as he walked towards the screen and flicked the lever, which Sonic had forgotten about, and clicked a button on the side of the panel.

"I'll start reworking this and we can try use electronic pulses to 'give' him the memory." Tails stated "I will have to keep tabs on him if it works though, something might happen later down the line." Sonic nodded "I'll leave you to it then, see ya Tails!" Sonic called before walking out and joining Rouge and Shadow.