3. Gas Station Adventure

~7 months prior to outbreak~

Bouncing with uncontainable excitement at every step, Daisy's slightly younger and smaller frame barely contained her jubilance. She giggled with pure joy as she followed big brother Mason. Her eyes danced with anticipation as they made their way along a cracked sidewalk near a bustling street, the sounds of cars whizzing by only adding to the thrill of their adventure.

The siblings' destination was a local gas station, and with a tightly-held, crumpled 5-dollar bill clutched in Mason's hand and Daisy's wrist in his other, they had a mission to accomplish.

As they approached the station, Daisy's excitement bubbled over, her dimples deepening as she flashed a crooked-toothed grin at her brother. "I can't believe daddy gave you a whole 5 dollars!" she exclaimed, her voice a symphony of wonder and awe.

Mason's cheeks flushed slightly at the mention of their father. In truth, he had taken the money without permission when their dad was in the bathroom. He couldn't resist the chance to bring a smile to his little sister's face.

Mason nodded in agreement, "Me neither, Daisy-Chain!"

Mason had promised Daisy they could get slushies together, using the money that their father so generously 'gave them'.

Only four days ago, Daisy celebrated her seventh birthday, but their father couldn't afford anything to make it special.  But today was different. Today, Mason was the hero, the one who could make her happy.

Happy. For once. 

A kaleidoscope of colors shone in the distance, the bright neon lights of the 7/11 sign beckoning the two children. Daisy's eyes widened with delight, and she let out a squeal of joy as they approached the convenience store. Mason felt a rush of pride, grateful for the opportunity to provide his precious little sister with this small moment of happiness.

As they stepped inside, the air was thick with the sweet aroma of syrupy slushies and cooking hot dogs on heated rollers. Daisy's gaze roamed the shelves, taking in the endless variety of flavors, each one more vibrant than the last. Her eyes sparkled with delight as she finally settled on her favorite - green apple.

Mason's heart was set on cherry, but his disappointment was palpable when the machine sputtered and coughed out only air. 

With a shrug, he opted for banana instead.

The cold air bit at their noses as they emerged from the store, their cups filled to the brim with icy sweetness. Daisy skipped along the sidewalk once more, her slushy sloshing around in its cup as she laughed and chatted with Mason. He smiled, feeling a warmth in his heart as he watched her carefree joy.

With each slurp of their straws, they savored the icy goodness, their taste buds tingling in bliss with each sip. Despite the cold weather, they relished in the moment, basking in the simple pleasure of their slushies.

As they walked back home in the dying evening light, their cups almost empty, Daisy chattered excitedly about their gas station adventure. She was already planning their next slushy adventure, imagining all the different flavors they could try - blue raspberry, grape, cotton candy, strawberry.

Her own excitement made her oblivious to the cold nipping at her skin. Her heart was overflowing with gratitude, and she couldn't wait to give her daddy a warm, heartfelt thank you hug for the gift of this precious memory.

On the other hand, Mason's worry had been a relentless beast, gnawing at his insides ever since they had left the 7/11. It had grown into a heavy burden that weighed down on him with each step, making his grip on Daisy's wrist unconsciously tighten as they approached their home.