14. Baby Bear

~Day sixty-two~

For Daisy, chaos felt like home. The outbreak, with its relentless turmoil, had intertwined its malevolent tendrils into the very essence of disarray. And yet, amidst the cacophony of destruction, Daisy had surprisingly discovered a sense of equilibrium, a stark contrast to her former self in a not so distant era.

The weight of her crippling anxiety, a pitiful affliction for a child of her age to bear, loomed over her every step like an everlasting specter. Its presence remained unwavering, but it was no creation of the apocalypse's cruel symphony.

Strangely, the end of the world had bestowed upon her an extraordinary sense of confidence and belonging, foreign notions she had failed to recognize as absent from her life until now. 

Even in the tranquil embrace of seemingly serene moments at the quarry, the notion that safety could vanish with a mere whisper haunted her ceaselessly—a fear that ultimately proved all too justified.

So, in a realm ruled by pandemonium, discovering serenity amidst the meandering roads felt like a cruel irony. Yet, for Daisy, the absence of imminent peril was a disquieting yet cherished respite from the reign of anarchy.

For movement was her companion, and to linger too long meant to jeopardize everything she held dear.

Peering through the window of the Cherokee, Daisy's gaze fixated on the ever-changing world unfolding before her as they cruised down the desolate highway. The sight was nothing short of surreal—a tableau with abandoned cars and overturned trucks strewn across the road, reminiscent of a scene ripped straight from a horror flick.

Amidst the relentless journey, Daisy's mind couldn't help but wander to the unknown that awaited them. The CDC, their supposed sanctuary, held promises of answers and, with any luck, a cure. But doubt lingered like a shadow in her thoughts. What if their destination turned out to be a futile endeavor? What if the once-determined scientists had succumbed to hopelessness?

With a determined shake of her head, Daisy fought to cast aside those pessimistic musings. There was no room for dwelling on the negative. She needed to maintain focus, to propel herself forward.

Her fingertips brushed against the cool surface of the window, and in her imagination, they transformed into a swift figure—running tirelessly alongside the speeding car, an embodiment of lightning itself. Like the Flash. 

A fleeting moment of joy bloomed within her as she watched her fingers gracefully dance in sync with the passing landscape. It was a meager pleasure, but in a world where darkness and danger reigned, even the slightest semblance of happiness was a treasured gem.

But soon, her thoughts once again gravitated towards the future, brimming with uncertainty and possibilities yet to be revealed.

With each passing mile, an amalgamation of excitement and trepidation surged within Daisy, intertwining like a tangled web of emotions. 

The CDC beckoned as a beacon of hope, a sanctuary where survival could be transformed into something more profound. Yet, it carried an unyielding burden of uncertainty, the lingering fear that their efforts might prove futile after all.

Carl had told her and Sophia that Shane wanted to go to Fort Benning, not the CDC. What if his instincts were right?

Restless, Daisy squirmed in her seat, her petite legs swinging aimlessly, inches above the car's floor. Silence enveloped the vehicle, punctuated only by the gentle hum of the engine and the occasional jolt as they navigated the uneven road.

Her gaze wandered to Sophia, absorbed in playing with the small doll that had been gifted to her by Eliza, lost in her own contemplation, and then up front, where Carl sat with Lori, occupying her lap.