Our Love Was Gold

Hello! This is my first story on her so if you could please give me positive or negative feedback! Whatever works :) thanks!

----------------

I was 19 years old when I first heard about him, and I wouldn't hear about him for another year except in passing. My younger cousin Steff came up to me talking about him, describing him as some blue eyed sweet heart she thought about dating, and I didn't have the heart to tell her he was much too old for her. Instead I laughed with her telling her to follow her heart, which was something I wasn't allowed to do.

You see, in my immediate family, money was a deciding factor in everything, and we had a LOT of it. The last name Latona was something to be feared or praised in Dallas, Texas. My Grand Father, Jose Latona, started an oil company 80 years ago, and I don't know much about it's history, but it boomed bigger than the baby boomer generation. And now we're among the elites in Dallas Society. My oldest brother, Jose Jr, is 23 years old. He's taking over our fathers business when he finishes his Master Degree. He's a smooth talker, a classic Dominican. He smiles at girls and they swoon, even my best friends aren't immune to his charm, because every time they come over I swear he always finds a way to make their cheeks turn red.

Then there's me, the baby. Anastasia Latona, 20 years old and in college studying Social Work. My dad allowed me to pick my own college major, because it's not like I'm ever going to need to actually use it. I would like too, but knowing my father, it's just not going to happen. And finally, the diamond in our family with a heart of gold, is my mother, Lidia Latona. You see, both of my parents are Dominican, but my mother is a special kind. She was born with blonde hair and green eyes, and fair skin. And my grandmother also had green eyes, that's why her husband married her. But my mother and father were so in love, and I wanted to have something as special as that as well.

You see, I was 13 when I met who I was told my husband would be. He was charming for 15, he was beautiful then, and has been so since. When he smiled at me I hid behind my mother, who laughed and told me to go introduce myself. It took all of my courage, and a gracious 'hallelujah' to all of my etiquette classes my father had forced me into, and I marched right up to him and smiled. He reached out and pulled my hand to his lips, and I giggled much to my mortification, as he told me I had a beautiful name. I smiled wider and asked him his name, and he said it in a voice that sounded like honey, "Gabriel De Los Santos, it is my pleasure to meet you." Our fathers smiled on watching us interact, as we moved into the parlor.

I look back on that day often, smiling at how young and silly we were. He was charming for 15, and now at 22 he's even better. Tall, tan, and handsome. It's as if God himself carved his features, but the devil gave him hazel green eyes and a perfect smile. But this story is not about him and I, and our younger years of learning about each other and dreaming of what our future would be like. This story is about me and a boy I will never forget, who stole a piece of my heart forever. When I was 16, I was diagnosed with clinical depression. My family didn't understand it, so they just ignored it. I would go through the episodes closed off in my bedroom, trying to tell the voices in my head to go away. The only reason I never committed suicide was because my love for my mother overrode any suicide urge I've ever had. But those were dark times, and even though my episodes at 20 weren't that frequent, they still hit me as hard as any tidal wave I've ever witnessed in movies.

It was a random Saturday in January, around 48 degrees. It was dull and rainy, and I was in a "mood" as my father put my depression, so he gave me money and told me to go to this market that I loved. So I went, tucked my curls in a hat and went about the day that would change the course of my life forever and ever.

------------------

The girl in the picture is the girl in the story. And yes she's 100% Dominican. She's Val Mercado, google her if you don't know her. She's an IG model. I'll update this as soon as I can, and I hope you guys like it! I'll post pictures of the guys in the next chapter

Vote & Comment please!