Fever

When Dante first saw the white wolf, he thought he was hallucinating. It started as whispers in the back of his mind, giving him gentle instructions. Find them... Over here... See...

And then one day a massive white wolf appeared in front of him. Or... not really in front of him. The white wolf, with his staggering height and crimson eyes, showed up in the infinite darkness of Dante's mind. His words were clipped, brisk orders. Dante needed to find a pack, and he needed to do as he was told.

When he woke the following day, he grabbed his wife and his young son and they moved across the country, just as he had been told to.

That was six years ago. Dante's wife was gone, and their son was eight. His life had been upturned all so that he could become the alpha of the largest pack in North America, buried deep in the Appalachian Mountains.

But it was never good enough. He was realizing that now as the white wolf paced in front of him, a sight that only Dante himself could see. Deep in the woods, far from any trail, and illuminated only by small campfires that highlighted the tents scattered around the camp. All the work he had put in, the things he had lost, his wife... it was never enough.

She should not be able to shut me out... no one has ever been able to shut me out in years... the white wolf said as he paced in Dante's mind. His nose was pointed to the ground, red eyes narrowed, and his ears pinned back in rage.

Dante wanted to tell him they had bit four new hikers this month – two more than last month, just like he had been told to. He kept his mouth shut.

"She wants to prevent the apocalypse-" Dante started, but he was silenced with a growl.

I know. She could ruin everything we have worked for.

"Have you told her why the apocalypse needs to happen?"

The white wolf turned on him with a snarl, his fangs bared within inches of Dante's face. His eyes widened and he averted his gaze, his body language apologetic. She is too sympathetic, the wolf said as he resumed his pacing. No... if we told her now, she would only be angrier.

Dante scowled. He didn't know her well, but he hoped she would at least be practical enough to do anything for the survival of their species. The white wolf scoffed as if reading his mind.

You think too kindly of others. She is rash, and too soft-hearted.

"Isn't that why you wanted her?"

The white wolf paused with his back to Dante. His tail swished from side to side. I have no use for her if she will not listen. She is not like you.

Dante hated that he preened under the praise.

"Give her time. She'll come around, just like the others did." Dante stood and stoked his fire with a small branch. The flames danced higher, and bits of ash floated around his camp. "We need her, Mai-coh, whether you like it or not. We need all the help we can get."

Mai-coh glared into the tree line, his back to Dante. Dante sat back down on his log beside the fire. What had his life come to?

My eyes rolled feverishly as I struggled to stand. My paws kept slipping on the ground, and my fur bristled with each failed attempt. I couldn't hear anything, and my fur felt wet with blood around my head.

I whipped around and snapped my jaws at the feeling of a hand on my back. I relaxed my posture when I saw it was Jeremiah, a look of mixed concern and severity on his face. His lips moved, but my mind couldn't process his words.