Chapter 01

Chapter 01: Decisions

----

After nearly 13 long years of work it was almost done. Leaning back in his chair the tired Hokage turned his attention to the picture on his desk. While he had dreamed of this moment for so long he had doubts about its completion. When he finished his work it would be a seal more complex and far superior to even the Hiraishin. Just then the door to his office burst open and several shinobi came in all at once.

"Hokage-sama!" was the collected chorus.

"One at a time and please stop that synchronized speaking. It is very disconcerting."

"Team seven has returned!" the first shinobi announced.

"Your point is exactly? I expected them to return from their C-ranked mission today."

"They failed the mission and both the Uchiha and Hitomi are in critical condition. The doctors….." the shinobi never finished as the Hokage disappeared in a flash of yellow. Reappearing at the side of two young shinobi he turned his attention to the others in the hospital room.

"Minato, Kushina what happened?"

"We were ambushed and then the client turned and attacked as well. It was a set-up! They were Iwagakure nins. All of them were at least Jonin or higher and they brought back up! It looked like they were all heading into battle with an enemy army!" Kushina growled.

"Of course they were! Sensei was there! They needed an army to take him down! Don't you see, Kushina? In order to get sensei like this they needed all of those nins and they did not even live to report their failure!" Minato shouted angrily.

"Minato! Don't yell at your sister. She is just as upset as you are. Now what happened to Hitomi?"

"Sorry dad." They both chorused looking down.

"For what?"

"Well when they initially attacked we moved away but Hitomi froze and we didn't notice….I know you told us to protect her! I'm sorry we didn't." Minato whispered. Kushina then broke into tears.

"Are you mad?"

"No. Not at you." He sighed. Just then the jonin's eyes slowly opened.

"Where am I?"

"Konoha. It seems like Kushina and Minato managed to drag you and Hitomi home by themselves."

"Sorry dobe…..I tried to protect them, but against that kind of force and over three-quarters of my chakra sealed I couldn't get to them fast enough."

"Teme. I told them when you came back that the sealing of your chakra would only be a liability. Of course they wouldn't listen to me. If you could have used your Sharingans, Susanoo could have protected the genins while you fought more effectively. Of course no one listens to me." Sasuke chuckled. Naruto always knew how to make someone realize the lame arguments that they made while insulting someone entirely unrelated to the conversation.

"Is it done?" That got the attention of both the depressed children.

"Almost another week at most. Although, now that it is almost done I am not sure if I want to use it. What if I never have Hitomi, Minato or Kushina?"

"You sound desperate dobe. That's not like you. You'll have them again. You just need to move faster and not be so dense this time."

"But teme…" before he could finish the shinobi he had left behind burst through his door with exasperated expressions.

"Hokage-sama why do you always take off like that?"

"Cause I can." The room suddenly burst into hysterical laughter.