Chapter 25

Chapter 25: The Calm Before the Storm
____

The trip to Nami was done in silence and Naruto preferred it that way. He still wasn't sure what to do about Jiraiya or his relationship. He knew that it could never be what it once was but then what could it be? Would Jiraiya actually be willing to do what was needed to repair their relationship? Or would he revert to his old ways as soon as he could? The questions that roamed his mind seemed endless and were offering no solution. Which only served to create more questions.

To Jiraiya the trip was nerve wrecking. He had no idea what to say to his godson or if he should say anything. Truthfully the sannin was confused and speechless. He hadn't felt like this for a long time and he hated every moment of it. He had to try to get to know his godson or he really would have failed at almost everything in his life. The more that he thought about the more he realized that he had mostly just followed the people around him and had rarely ever done the opposite. Rarely had he tried to establish his own identity and that scared him. For the first time in his life he was questioning who he was and if he really wanted to be that person.

For Karin she was marveling at the sights and the lingering chakra she could still pick up in the areas that they passed. She was aware of the tension between the two males in the group and she didn't want to make anything awkward by asking. Obviously something had happened between them and they needed to time to work it out. The confusion she was getting wasn't helping. Once more her thoughts drifted to the marks on her arm and she silently cursed Kusagakure. In a way she was also angry at her mom for revealing what they were capable of without thinking of the consequences for either of them.

"Hey Uzumaki-sama welcome back!" A man called startling all three out of their thoughts Naruto smiled and walked over to the him.

"Kenji, how are things lately?" Naruto asked.

"Good. Ever since Gato's trial and execution we have been doing mush better and we owe it all to your team. Who are your companions?"

"This is my godfather Jiraiya and this is Karin Uzumaki." He said happily. Kenji did a double take at the unique group and felt his eyes widen.

"Well I'll be two Uzumaki have returned to these lands now. It's good to meet you Uzumaki-hime." He said with a bright smile.

"I was told that Nami had the most direct and fastest route to Uzu and that almost, if not all, of the experienced fishermen knew how to get there. Is that true?"

"Sure is. Nami used to trade with Uzu often so it was necessary that anyone going that way knew how to get there. Why?"

"I wanted to go there to train for my matches in the chunin exams. The only other way that I can think of would take at least five more hours and I can't afford to lose that much time in my training."

"That's fine. I'll take you over there myself. How's that sound?"

"Thank you and cut the Uzumaki-sama crap. I'm not one for formalities."

"Maybe I will." Groaning Naruto followed the jovial man and shook his head. They just wouldn't stop with the formalities. A quick hour and a half later and they were on the shores of Uzushiogakure once more.

"So when you coming back across?"

"In twenty nine days."