Chapter 26 - Orders

Galen had seldom experienced the luxury of a hot bath. At home, the best he could hope for was a basin of warm water heated on the stove. There were the bathhouses, of course, but as he often got more attention than he wanted there, he'd learned to avoid such places. The stone pool was all his for the moment, though, and he did his best to enjoy it despite the worries fluttering about his head like a flock of restless birds.

The clear water steamed in the cool air, and as he stripped out of his clothes and slipped into its welcoming warmth, he took stock of his body for the first time in weeks.

He had grown leaner and hardened up a little from the constant exercise of travel, the daily exertion leaving his muscles lightly toned. He wondered if he'd gained a little height, as well; and as the heat of the water sank through his skin and he watched the shadows in the courtyard slowly shift, he realized that the year must have turned it's quarter some time in the past week or so.

He'd never been sure of the exact date, of course, but Harrald had estimated Galen to be about three months old when he'd found him in the snow. That had been closer to the end of the year, so they had always celebrated his birthday at the fall equinox. As it seemed that this had come and gone, Galen supposed he must now have entered his eighteenth year.

If he were still in Dern, he would be considered a full-grown man and expected to enter service with the Guard in one capacity or another, as every able-bodied Thrynian must for the first three years of their adulthood. He had expected, and hoped, to be assigned to the medics, but there was no guarantee. He might have ended up holding doors for nobles at the palace, or as a scout, or as arrow-fodder on the front lines. There was no way to know until one presented oneself for service, and then as much depended on the whims of the recruiting officers as it did on one's own skill.

Behn had hoped to be assigned to the mess—to kitchen duty—while Triss, of course, had been snapped up by the Watchers the moment she came of age. But none of that mattered, now.

Now, Triss was a deserter, and Behn would be marked a coward when, or if, he ever returned—as would Galen, if he were not put to death as a witch. The thought of what his friends had given up for his sake sat heavy on his heart, as did the thought of never seeing his home or Harrald again, and as he studied the fast-healing traces of bruises and scrapes marring his skin, he wondered if he was worth such sacrifice.

He was certainly not worth the sacrifice of a life, he thought, and his resolve to help Iksthanis if he could hardened even as as his muscles relaxed in the heat of the natural bath.

Clean and refreshed, he emerged and dried himself with a towel from a pile set nearby for that purpose, and dressed himself in the soft, loose clothes with which they had all been provided—a pair of cotton trousers, a sleeveless undershirt, and a robe-like outer garment secured with a cloth belt. Rejoining the others in the large, circular chamber, he found them gathered around a table laden with food, serving themselves portions in generously sized wooden bowls. There was a deep pot of hearty vegetable stew, fresh-baked bread with butter and honey, and a platter of berries, fruits, and cheese.

Those who had served themselves already sat about on the beds or on the floor, enjoying the meal, looking more relaxed and happy than they had in weeks. Here, at last, was a place they could rest without fear, and while Iksthanis's fate remain uncertain, there was enough joy in knowing he still lived to lighten their hearts.

Anira had returned as well, and stood a little apart, speaking with Sevhalim in a low voice. Galen frowned as he approached, wondering if he had missed his chance to eavesdrop already, and determined to ask his questions directly if need be.

Sev turned as he approached and opened his mouth as if to speak, but instead drew a quick breath as his expression went briefly blank with surprise. Recovering himself, he blinked and offered Galen the ghost of a smile.