Chapter 29 - Dwellers

Galen followed along as the man led Sevhalim to the council chambers, traversing several long hallways and descending a flight of spiral stairs. Everything was carved of the same light-colored stone, decorated with fine engravings of leaves, flowers, and vines, and Galen vaguely wondered how long it must have taken to build such a place.

At the end of a long, columned walkway, open to a view of the valley on one side, their guide stopped before a pair of enormous doors, grasped the handles, pulled them open, and stood aside so Sevhalim could enter first.

He did so without hesitation, and Galen trailed nervously at his back.

Within, he saw a long rectangular room with a high, arched ceiling supported by double rows of columns like the trunks of great trees. The central space was sunk a few steps lower and occupied by a long stone table. High-backed chairs carved of the same stone lined either side, and in these sat the nine members of the council. With a flood of relief, Galen saw Triss, Behn, Obi, Iksthanis, and Zenír were also present, seated at the lower end of the table. Their guide pointed him towards an empty chair beside Behn, and despite the severe atmosphere in the room, he exchanged quiet, happy greetings with the others as he obeyed.

Iksthanis greeted him warmest of all. It was clear he had yet to regain his full strength, and wore a blanket about his shoulders for warmth, but his smile was bright and his eyes were clear. Zenír radiated a soft joy as well, and Galen noted that the pair held hands.

As for Sevhalim, he remained standing at the foot of the table, facing Anira, who sat at the far end. Among the other council members, Galen recognized only one — the man who had caught them in the nets, whom Anira had called Finvar. The rest were strangers, and a strange mix — old and young, male and female, and representing nearly every race within Sakkara.

Once they were settled, Anira spoke.

"Sevhalim, I am glad you are well. And Galen, it is good to see you on your feet."

Galen smiled and nodded in thanks, but Sevhalim cut the formalities short.

"Anira. Where is Rea, and what is this nonsense about maps?"

Anira leaned back in her throne-like seat and fixed him with a keen stare. "Those are the questions you are here to answer. When was the last time you spoke with Rea?"

"The day before last."

"And of what did you speak?"

Sevhalim hesitated. "We discussed what we had learned from you, the Order and our places in it. We agreed that we must seek proof, and that until we had it we could not proceed with our mission."

"You are certain you agreed?"

Again, Sevhalim paused before he spoke. "Not at first, but we reached an accord."

Anira frowned. "I need hardly ask, but... Do you trust her?"

This time, Sevhalim didn't hesitate at all. "I trust Rea with my life, and with more than my life. I trust her with my death."

Anira nodded. "Why is that?"

"Because she is a true friend and a loyal Hand."

"And if put to the test, which do you think would prove the stronger: friendship, or loyalty?"

Sevhalim's dark brows ticked closer together, and he frowned. "What is this about, Anira? Speak plainly."

The older woman regarded him thoughtfully for a moment before answering. "When you spoke, she said nothing of maps?"

"She did not."

"It has come to our attention that several highly sensitive maps have gone missing. As soon as it did, we conducted a thorough search and a census. The maps are not within this valley, and neither is Rea. The last time she was seen, as far as we have established, was the afternoon of the day before last, probably shortly after she visited you in your room."