MY STORY

My biggest fear is being raped and then later killed, leaving my family behind with so many questions and hurt. Leaving my mother with the fear of my little sister being next.

My biggest fear is being raped, as he enters my temple groaning with no self-remorse, as he claims my body as his, as our souls intertwine. It's like l can hear his voice whispering in my ear, "If you scream, l will not hesitate to kill you." So, l lay on the ground numb with my underwear ripped and my innocence stripped.

My biggest fear is that he'll get away with it because of the system that is raising us. l can hear my cousin in the next room as my uncle opens her door with his hand over his mouth, gesturing she keeps quiet. I could only imagine her muffled screams as his dark presence hovers over her helpless body as he walks closer to her and touches her unformed breasts as he slowly undresses her. If you listen closely, you can hear him mumbling in self-satisfaction grunts of a 'real man' taking and getting what he wants.
Leaving her with child, that her mother, sooner or later raises as her own, a child that her father refuses to acknowledge. With her youth stolen from her, she turns to drinking, and her love for elderly men begins.

As she shares her story, the mother figures in her life blame her.
'What were you wearing!?', they ask rhetorically...
Somehow, that is always the first question asked.