Papers were strewn across my desk: colour coordinated, tabbed and highlighted according to the key that was currently pinned to my wall. Having read the report on my own promotion, I was taking this all very seriously. Icarus and I both wanted to be as prepared as possible for the meeting, and knowing the material inside out was our key to that.

Essentially, they wanted me to be promoted to head of security by summertime, which is when my schooling ends. At first, I thought that sounded way too soon; there was no way I'd be ready to start my role by then, especially when I have exams to prepare for at the same time. However, after reading the report, it kind of made sense. My father was looking to retire as he had served the position for a long sixteen years and had worked in pack security for fourteen years previous to being made head of security. Of course, I would still have his support until I was ready to fly solo, so at least I wasn't being left to my own devices as soon as I stepped into the role. It was understandable, but also a lot of pressure. I had roughly half a year to prepare for a role that my father spent fourteen years preparing for.

I could expect my workload to increase immensely over the coming months, so I would really have to buckle down and focus on both this and schooling. Icarus and I agreed: no distractions.

A knock at my bedroom took me out of my thoughts and I set my highlighter down, heading to open it up. I knew it was Mila and N.J before I even opened the door; I could hear them making excited sounds to each other through the door. Today was the day that they are moving into the pack house, so they're like toddlers hyped-up on a sugar rush after being left with birthday cake.

"Today's the day!" N.J exclaimed.

"Whoah, that's a lot of paper, nerd." Mila laughed, "Come help us with boxes."

"I dread to think how much stuff you're bringing with you." I groaned, following them down the corridor.

"Nearly broke my back loading the car with her stuff." Cameron huffed, "And that's just her belongings. Just you wait until we have to shift that drum kit of Noah's."

"I forgot about the drum kit... Wait, you made the human load the car?" I quirked a brow.

"Good point." Mila hummed, "But, technically, I'm half human."

"I'm your adoptive father, love." Cam chuckled, "Nice try, though."

Cam handed her the box and she pouted, carrying her own box up the countless flights of stairs.

"I hear congratulations are in order, mister." Cameron beamed, "Well done. You deserve it and you'll do amazing in the role."

"Thanks, Cam. I haven't told those two yet, though."

"Any reason you're waiting?" He asked.

"I think we've always expected to do it all at the same time. We would all step into our roles simultaneously." I sighed, "I get it, though. It's just not practical. N.J is two years younger, so we'd have to wait at least another two years for him to be ready. Not to mention, Mila isn't ready for the pressure and needs more time to train. Plus, if we were all new to our roles at the same time it would cause too much instability for the pack. I mean, at least this way I can get used to my role so that we're not all completely new to the job at the same time..."

I realised that I had been rambling to Cameron a bit as he leant against the car door, listening.

"You guys have always been inseparable. It's understandable that you'd want the support of stepping into the role at the same time, but if it's not practical then they'll just have to adjust." Cameron shrugged, "Between you and me, I think we baby the two of them too much. That's why I was okay with them moving out; giving them a bit of independence might help them mature a little. The circumstances in which they came into the world means we shelter them, but they're more resilient than you think. They'll be okay with it, Xan."