Mortar's Ghosts, Part 1

If ya dont know, (which you dont) this is a small version of Phantoms of a Cliff Insomniac, one of my cancelled books. This story takes place before and during Where It All Went Wrong.
Enjoy!
-Port

It began when he was very young, around 12 years old. Small flits of shadow out of his vision. But it never really got serious.
Until he joined the military.

Mortar liked explosions. He started by acidentally blowing up a sink in his high school science class. Then he joined a Tower division, preferring to stay up high. He did good, in the beginning. People liked talking to him, he was a good advice-giver. Until he started to act strange. He got irritable, and he felt tired all the time. Medic told him he had developed Insomnia, caused by the constant stress of battles and nightmares.
He started to get better, bit by bit.
And then his childhood came back.

-------

Mortar was trying to sleep. Sniper, Hunter, and Ranger were sleeping soundly on their bunks in their room. Mortar tossed and turned, trying to find a comfortable position. It didn't help his Insomnia that Sniper was the loudest snorer Mortar had ever heard. He would have paid to climb up onto Sniper's bunk and slap him, but Mortar didn't. It was 2:17 AM, and Mortar had fallen asleep at 8:37 and woke up precisely 32 minutes later, and couldn't sleep since. But eventually, Mortar fell asleep, somehow.

-------

Bip. Bip. Bip. Bip.

Mortar woke up to the sound of his alarm. He was shocked.

'Really? Did I just really sleep through the whole night?'

Mortar would have liked to jump up and assume victory over his own body, until he noticed that it was still pitch black outside. He had set his alarm to 7:01 every day, but it was 4:29. And as soon as he looked at his clock, the alarm stopped.

'Huh? What.. What just happened? Did I just hallucinate that?'

And then a deep, dangerous sounding growl echoed through the closed door.

A scribbled-looking beast slowly opened the door. Mortar sprang up and grabbed the handgun from his side table.

'hello.'

Mortar responded through gritted teeth;

"what the hell are you.. don't take a step. i will shoot."

-------

Commander had fallen asleep in his chair, writing papers and organizing. However, his heartbeat jumped up, as did he, when a gunshot rocked the building.

-------

PART 2 COMING SOON