Chapter 2

Monsoon opened his eyes. It was a few days after he has met Owlet. There was still tension between the two cats, but it was getting better. Monsoon had learned that Owlet had lived in the same forest as he did when he was a kit. She had lived in a group. The group had driven her out. But for what reason? He wondered. He sat up, his tail curled over his paws. Maybe it was because of how she reacted with others around her? He thought to himself. Suddenly, he heard pawsteps from behind him and he looked over his shoulder. It was Owlet holding a mouse in her jaws. She padded over to him and dropped the mouse at his paws.

"Eat this, your going to need it." She meowed. She sat down with her tail over her paws.

Monsoon sighed, crouching down to eat the mouse. He started to chew on it as Owlet spoke.

"I was thinking maybe we could take a little journey today. I want to know if my former group still exists. What do you think?" She asked.

Does she think we're friends now? Monsoon thought. He shrugged. He looked up to her.

"I don't know." He meowed. 

Owlet sighed. 

"I don't really want to go on my own. I have a horrible time going into the forest without someone to guide me. That's why I haven't been in the forest ever since I was driven out of my territory." She meowed.

Monsoon sat up. He didn't know what to feel about what Owlet had said. On the second day, Owlet didn't want anything to do with Monsoon. She had ignored him, only to say a few short sentences to him. Maybe it had taken time for Owlet to get used to Monsoon. But why was she acting so nice to him now? Surely there was a reason for it. But Monsoon didn't want to ask. He felt suspicious of his new acquaintance. He sighed.

"I'll go with you." He meowed. 

"Great, finish eating and we will head off." Owlet meowed, padding away.

Monsoon nodded, crouching down to finish his meal. He didn't want to return to the forest. He remembered the cold wind and deep snow. Monsoon remembered the numbness in his limbs. His paws started to shake. He lowered his ears. But he had to do this. Monsoon was also curious about Owlet's former group. He wanted answers. As he finished the mouse, he got up to his paws and padded to the hole where he had entered the old structure. He squeezed out of the hole. Monsoon looked around and spotted Owlet. It wasn't snowing anymore, but there was still snow on the ground. He padded up to her.

"Ready to go?" Owlet asked.

Monsoon nodded. And they started heading to the forest.