01

" and you too divine to just be
mine. "
congratulations, mac miller.

       the bell chimed above him as he stepped foot into the coffee shop, digging his hands into his pockets and lowering into his scarf, searching for some warmth in this cold season

eren really wasn't one for coffee shops — not the 'drinking coffee while reading a book' or 'having hot coco while watching the snow fall' type of person.

and this coffee shop didn't really catch his attention, either. from what he saw, it looked pretty bland. it was decorated with mostly the aesthetic of brown and beige, and didn't have many costumers. just a few shelves full of books and a fire place to keep everyone entertained and warm.

but hey, everyone had different interests.

but what did catch his attention was the big fifty cent chocolate chip cookie poster that screamed for him to buy it as he was walking by.

eren had a sweet tooth, he wasn't going to lie. any chance he had at buying sweets, he took. so seeing the poster while having — out of luck — precisely three cents and four nickels in his pocket, he knew it was destiny calling for him to buy this cookie.

and so he walked in with just the cookie in his mind.

walking towards the cashier, his hands played around with the coins in his pockets. taking a hand out, he took off the scarf that wrapped around his neck knowing that with the fire place, he would warm up pretty soon. plus, he sweat easily.

"hello, young man! how can i help you today." at the counter stood a man who, eren would assume, seemed to be in his late fortie's. his hair was already half grayed and wrinkles had adorned his face.

although eren liked his mustache. it was one of those long, skinny ones that curved up at the ends, like those french stereotype's.

eren looked up at the menu as if he didn't have what he wanted in mind already. "um...can i get the large cookie." eren asked, fiddling with the coins again.

the man at the cashier gave eren a confused look. "just a simple... plain cookie?" he repeated, or more like asked if that was what eren really wanted.

oh man, be more specific eren! "you know, the one on the poster?"

eren and the man held awkward eye contact as silence overtook their conversation. eren deadpanned, "the one outside. the chocolate chip cookie that costs fifty cents." old people man, eren thought.

the man smiled at eren, "oooh!" he dragged out, "you could've said that, young man! kids these days..." whispering the last part, the man finished writing down eren's order.

"anything else?"

"uh - no, that's it."

"you're total is fifty cents, young man." eren pulled out the fifty cents he had been playing around with this whole time. placing the coins in the palm of the man, the man thanked eren and told him his cookie would be out in a few minutes.

eren moved away from the counter to let the ones behind him order. he took a seat on an old-fashioned brown bench that had elegant carvings in it and placed his scarf down next to him. unconsciously, his fingers studied the carving as he looked around the shop.

surprisingly, eren felt quite cozy. the atmosphere was calm and collected as he watched people converse and laugh, holding a cup of coffee in their hands. his eyes looked at the rows of books on the shelves, watching as someone picked out a book.

eren rolled his eyes at the book they picked out. to kill a mocking bird huh? how original. so boring.

leaving the books behind, his eyes wandered to the fire place next. only one person sat close by it. it was a girl. he couldn't really see her face, seeing as it was shoved into a book. every day. what book is that?

she looked around the same age as eren. she had brown hair, styled in 2 separate braids that laid against her chest; a few beige colored clips that took the form of stars on both sides of her head to keep her hair from getting in the way.

weirdly, her hands somehow fit the book, like a model holding a book for a magazine. rings were placed on her fingers while bracelets loosely fell on her wrists, one of them having the initial "a".

maybe her name? eren thought.

he then looked at her outfit, consisting of a brown long sleeve sweatshirt that had 'gap' written in the middle of it, a beige skirt with black stockings, and beige leg warmers that covered half of the brown shoes she wore.

on the floor next to where she sat was a white, fluffy bag with — from what he could see, books and notebooks in it.

"for eren!" looking away from the girl that piqued his interest somehow, eren stood up and walked towards the counter to retrieve his cookie.

"have a good day, young man! come back soon." the man said, before walking away to attend other customers.

eren began walking away once he grabbed his cookie and finally bit into it. he hummed in joy as his taste buds were overwhelmed with the flavors of the cookie. so soft and warm, being handed to him right out the oven.

"so good..." he whispered to himself, the bell above him chiming as he walked out of the coffee shop.

eren decided to look inside through the glass walls as he walked by. to his surprise, his green orbs met with hazel ones peeking over a book. every day. the title read.

it was the girl. the girl that caught eren's interest somehow. the girl that eren took 5 minutes analyzing.

did she see me stuff the cookie into my mouth?!