Chapter 7

The next day, me and Lars awoke. We did our usual routine and headed out to breakfast.

"You okay now? Y'know, the nightmare and such." Lars asked as we grabbed our food and walked to our usual table.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I replied. But I still don't feel fine. That nightmare seemed so...real. It's hard to tell now if the others are being genuine or fake. But I shrug it off. The last thing on my mind right now is a stupid nightmare I had that makes me overthink.

"Hey everyone!" James said, smiling. 

Me and Lars sat down, greeting the other two.

"So, since today we all have free time I'll show you three where I think we could escape from. It'll need some work though. We could start today." James said.

"Gotcha." Jason replied as he smirked.

I squint my eyes and look and James and Jason as they're both obviously blushing and giggling as they look at each other. I then roll my eyes. 

"Those lovebirds better get a room." I muttered to Lars as I cut my pancakes.

Lars covered his hand as he stifled a laugh. "Yeah."

But why am I being annoyed with James and Jason? They probably see how I act around Lars. And maybe how he acts around me?

Which leads me to my next thought, does Lars even like me back? Considering the nightmare from last night, I wouldn't think so. But Lars always acts really sweet around me. And I've noticed he blushes sometimes.

As I'm overthinking and trying to analyze every single interaction Lars and I had, I was snapped back to reality as everyone at the table was shouting my name, trying to get back my attention,

"Uh hello?! Earth to Kirk?!" Lars exclaimed as waved his hand infront of my face.

"Oh yeah? Sorry." I said as I looked up.

"What I was saying was that I know a guy who would most likely be willing to let us stay with him after we escape. His name is Cliff." James stated.

"Alright." I replied

The table is quite silent afterwords, with the casual conversation between Lars and I. I guess it's because it's quite nerve-wrecking that we're actually going to escape this place.

The bell then rings and we throw away our garbage. We then head outside for our free time. Apparently once a week, kids actually get to go outside and do what they want. They're just heavily monitored, of course. 

"C'mon guys I'll show you what I was talking about." James said as he motioned for us to follow him. We passed by multiple staff members before one chimed in, a look of boredom on his face.

"Where are you four headed?" He asked.

"Just the garden, sir." Mumbled Jason.

The staff member narrowed his eyes at the four of us before pointing at me. "You're the new kid, right?" 

I swallowed hard. "Yeah."

He squints his eyes at me before rolling them. "Whatever, go along now. Just don't think of escaping." He seethed as he laughed sarcastically.

Lars, James, Jason, And I walked away before looking at each other. 

"What was that for?" Jason murmured.

"I don't know." I replied, shrugging. 

"Yeah I don't either, just don't worry about it. You all know how the staff members like to be in our business all the time." Reassured James as we kept walking.