A new friend?

Chapter 3 - A new friend?

Context - Billy sees Griffin sitting alone and decides to go and talk to him.

There he was. The paperboy going on his daily round delivering papers as usual. His name is Billy Showalter although he prefers to be called paperboy. No one knows why he prefers to be called that but they go along with it as they want to respect his boundaries. Everytime Paperboy does his daily round everyone is always waving to him or just saying hi. He didn't mind this because it made him feel nice in some way. Everytime he does his round he always sees this one boy walking down the sidewalk. He often wonders why he is always walking alone. Does he not have any friends? Paperboy always thought to himself.

He seems like such a nice boy so it wouldn't make any sense to him if he didn't have any friends. He doesn't try to think about it much. I mean c'mon, questioning whether or not a kid has friends? It's a little rude if you think about it. Which is why he doesn't. The name of the kid he always sees is Griffin Stagg. How does he know this? They have some of their classes together. He doesn't talk much in any of his classes but Paperboy just assumes that his friends don't have the same classes together. Paperboy never paid much attention to Griffin until recently he had discovered that he also sits alone at lunch.

"Does he not have any friends?" Billy thought to himself. How can someone who looks so kind not have any friends? Billy looked around for his friends and spotted them in the corner of the cafeteria. Billy stands there for a bit before making the decision of walking over to his friends. "Hey guys," Paperboy said, as he sat down in an empty seat. "About time dipshit. You looked fucking stupid just standing there." Vance said. Billy wonders why Vance, Robin, and Bruce sit with Finney and him. They have a reputation here so you think sitting with them would mess it up. "So uh," Paperboy starts off. Everyone looked at Paperboy.

When they had first become friends Paperboy had stated that he doesn't like starting off the conversation first. "I don't think I'll sit with you guys for today. Just for today though!" Paperboy said, everyone had looked at him in shock. "Oh, I see. How come you're not going to sit with us today, Paperboy?" Bruce said. Everyone was curious where Paperboy was going to sit. None of them ever see him talking to anybody else. Paperboy looks down at his lap for a bit before finally responding, "There's this guy I want to talk to." he said honestly. I mean that's why he wanted to sit next to Griffin in the first place. Robin raises one of his eyebrows and smirks, "Is paperboy finally getting the balls to ask someone out?" Robin said, in between laughs. Finney rolled his eyes at Robin and hit him. Billy was a bit flustered at this.

Maybe he should have worded his sentence better. "N-no, I just want to make a new friend. You guys can be a little bit too much sometimes. So I just want to talk to someone who is less chaotic." Billy said, both Bruce and Finney gasped at Billy's response. "Yeah, yeah, whatever. Just go talk to the dude." Vance said. Billy smiled and whispered a small thank you. Billy grabbed his tray and walked over to where Griffin was sitting.

"Hey," Billy said, as he took a seat across from Griffin. "Oh hello, do you need something? Homework, answers to a test?" Griffin said, quietly but loud enough for Billy to hear. Billy slightly chuckles at his response, "No, no! I just wanted to come and talk to you! You seemed a bit lonely so I decided to accompany you." Griffin looks up at Billy and gives him a small nod. Just by looking at Griffin's body movements Billy could tell Griffin doesn't talk to people often. So it would be up to Billy to get Griffin out of his shell and talk to him. "Well my name is," "Billy Showalter. Although, you prefer to be called Paperboy. I know who you are." Griffin said Billy just sat there in shock. Well, he never thought that Griffin would know him. Billy smiled at Griffin, "Well, you can just call me Billy, Griffin." Billy said, smiling at Griffin. Griffin raises one of his eyebrows in confusion, "Why? You don't even let your own friends call you Billy." Griffin said, what was Billy trying to do? Griffin sat there in silence for a bit before he realized something.

Billy knew his name. "Wait, wait, wait, you know my name?" Griffin said, in shock and confusion. "Of course I do! Why wouldn't I?" Billy said, grinning ear to ear. Griffin looks down at his lap and shrugs his shoulders. "Well, uh, I don't know. No one ever really pays attention to me unless they need homework answers or answers to a test." Griffin mumbled. He looked back up at Billy who seemed to be giving him a sympathetic look, "Well Griffin, how about you be my friend? Then, I can introduce you to my other friends!" Billy said. Griffin thought about it for a bit, "Yeah, yeah. I would like that paper- sorry Billy." Griffin said, now giving Billy a smile.

Well, this is the end of chapter 3. Hoped this chapter isn't as bad as I think it is. Anyways, hoped you enjoyed the chapter. I think I'm going to make another story about the black phone but it's going to be a chaotic. I'm not sure though, I'm deciding on it. 

Words - 966